Going with a SSD till HDD prices drop.

itsaferbie

Like the title says, I'm going to be buying a SSD and I'm going to wait a bit til HDD prices drop, or til I go off to college, which is in May. So I was wondering if that sounds like a good idea, cause I won't be putting much on it, just steam and Chrome mainly. So do you think that'd be a okay route til prices drop? I don't many games on steam, just 2 at the moment.

Thanks for the advice!

Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233191

claptonman

Yes, it would be fine. Just be sure to take your web browser off it when you get your new HDD, as you don't want as many read/writes going to your SSD as a web browser does. I don't think you can take Chrome off the C: drive so you may have to switch to Firefox or something else. Take a look at this guide if you haven't already:

http://www.computerforum.com/192436-setup-manage-ssd.html

linkin

VIP Member
Why would you not have a browser on your SSD... makes no sense! It speeds up web browsing a good lot.

TekMaster

Just don't try to defrag your SSD and it's all gravy. Treat it like a mechanical...
A defrag will just wear it down

Last edited:

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
I hate SSD.They are so damn sensitive on everything.HDD is a lot better to me.Not to mention when you need to recover deleted data.It is almost impossible to do that on SSD for the difference of the HDD.

The hell with SSDs.I am sticking to HDDs.

Still when using SSDs you at least don't need to have a fear of any scary CLICKING sounds that may occur hehehe:D

FuryRosewood

i just know the bugger kills any slowdowns i got when fetching data...even improved my speed compiling...win win there.

User0one

Just built a Computer for a guy, put Windows on 60 gig ssd, and added 1 TB Hard Drive for My Documents and data, about the same as you are spending for just the one drive now.

FuryRosewood

^ Exactly, but its just so much more responsive....I want to raid my 2Tb storage as a mirror and back it up frequently, i think that will be ideal

Briilee

If you can make do with 120GB, it's a good idea.
Also, the Corsair Force GT series is the best ones out there :)