good? bad? ugly? Newb 1st build

Underpowered

Last edited:

mihir

VIP Member
Get a PSU atleast 450W and also change the GPU if you are not counting the rebate which never comes back then in that much budget you can get a gts 250 or an HD 4850

Underpowered

not counting on the rebate.

i am pretty computer illiterate so all the stuff i listed above were suggested to me by members of other site (not dedicated computer forums).

mihir

VIP Member
tell me your total budget and I will try to put something together for you

Do you need an OS or not

jarlmaster47

$800 tops. including OS and keyboard. no monitor needed. that setup there is $811 shipped from newegg.com

keep the build as is but do these things.

1. corsair 500w psu.

2. video card is obsolete you need something better. I recommend the 5770.

3. get a caviar black hdd. its faster and not much more expensive.

4. case is meh. consider an antec 900 or xclio windtunnel

ganzey

banned
nonsense, that video card is fine for just general use. and a corsair 400watt is plenty, it just doesnt leave much room for upgrade.

Underpowered

nonsense, that video card is fine for just general use. and a corsair 400watt is plenty, it just doesnt leave much room for upgrade.

good to know. i don't plan on upgrading really. i mean, i don't need the latest and greatest. it has to be better than the 5 year old laptop i am on currently with only 512mb ram and a 320 HDD. no need to overbuild if i don't have to.

Drenlin

If you're not gaming, you don't need that great of a video card. One of the mainstream HD5xxx cards would be good. They have decent power, low power usage, and the most modern technologies.

However, the CPU could matter quite a bit in this case. You could probably fit a Phenom II x6 in that build, if you wanted to, but there's not a lot of point to that if you don't need it.