good books for learning about computers

bigpman8

I am interested in gaining a more advanced knowledge about computers and was hoping you guys would know some good, affordable books to read for that purpose.

I am not as interested in the really technical aspect. For instance my friend took a computer science class where they studied binary code the entire time. I would only be interested in that if it was essential to understanding anything else.

Sorry if that is too vague, thanks!

tremmor

Best bet.
Goto a bookstore (professional) and local.
Find the computer books and read the preface (who the author is catering too.)
Might be beginners, intermediate or and advanced
Maybe look for a book with illustrations and pictures.
diff authors cater to different people.
find one ya like.

i always look for intermediate and advanced.
or just advanced. depends on what your looking for.

for the record. preface is on the front. ISBN number is there too.
With the ISBN number you could order on the internet or find if the book
store has it in stock. Or order with ISBN on line.

Last edited:

Mr Green

Look for books on basic computer principles, maintenance & repair and networking & security. That should be a good start. Move onto basic html, css, sql and java. It´ĺl get you into programming basics quite well.

There are also many video clips on youtube.

Binkstir

I know this is a little beside your question but if you really want to learn computers and you can afford it, build one.

You could get the parts from newegg for around $400 and build your own. The people on the forum here would help you if you got stuck. When you got finished you'd know lots more about computers. I promise, its easier than you'd think.

Mr Green

Its better starting off with lower quality parts for a first computer; I wouldn't recommend spending more than $400.