Good but inexpensive Motherboard?

20GT

What's a good motherboard that's upgradeable as far up as the I7 but can also start with a much cheaper processor.

I7 3 GHz · Socket LGA 2011-3 · 25 MB cache memory

Laquer Head

What's a good motherboard that's upgradeable as far up as the I7 but can also start with a much cheaper processor.

I7 3 GHz · Socket LGA 2011-3 · 25 MB cache memory

Good/Inexpensive and you picked X99 / 2011-3 ?????

Intel_man

VIP Member
Yeah the 6950X is marketed to idiots really. You can get a dual socket xeon setup for that much and have double the cores/threads.
There are certain softwares that the 6950x does perform better than a dual socket xeon counterpart. However, it still doesn't justify the $1700 asking price of the processor. Apart from being overclockable, it lacks ECC Memory support which kinda defeats the purpose of such a chip in the first place.
$300 for starters :(
$300 just for the motherboard or $300 for the entire system?

20GT

basically the cheapest upgradeable way to end up with what I need.
what ever the inexpensive of all the parts would be my budget
not concerned with performance at this point in time

Intel_man

VIP Member
If you're looking at a system that will require a lot of processor cores @ 3ghz, you're going to be looking at a lot of money.

You can look at grabbing a pair of used E5-2670's for $80 each. But the dual socket mobo will run you atleast $320. And that's grabbing old Xeons... You don't even want to know how much the new Xeons run you for anything that is at 10+ cores.