good deal or not?

megalowmaniac

First off i would like to say hello. and very happy to be part of this community. but would like some advice to wether or not i was ripped.

so a few weeks ago made my cpu and mobo 2 years old...so i decided to get a new cpu and mobo. am 13 so i was saving up for this.... my pc was setup like this...

Intel celeron 2.0ghz propably 1.8ghz......

1 gig of RAM

160gb segate hdd <<< slave
and a 40gb maxtor.

nvidia 6200 128mb

not bad for a kid my age but i felt that my old processor was holding my new card and ram back....

so i went to my local cyber cafe and i askd the worker if they modified pc's and he said yes i told him my specs and he reccomended a new processor and mobo. so i decided to get....

Amd 64 3000+ socket 939 .... $145
MSI K8TNeo2-F Via Socket 939 ATX Motherboard / Audio / AGP 8x / Gigabit LAN / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA / RAID ..... $99
Installation $50
New windows cd's i lost my old ones ... $25

total is like $320. was i ripped or not?

new cpu after update.

Amd 64 3000+
1Gb Ram Crosair
MSI Mobo
160gh hdd
40gd hdd
nvidia 6200 128mb

last question are the 6200 better than the 5000 series?

i apologize for the long read.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Looks like a good build and price. The installation, was that ot have it built or something?

As for the 6200, which s it? I beleive there are some with 64bit RAM which are junk, and I also beleive I've seen some that simply shared your system RAM(like onboard video cards) which is also junk... As for the actual speed, I don't know, but I would think it would be faster, or at least the same as the 5700. Check around online...there are usally benchmarks about them.

megalowmaniac

that installaltion price was to install the mobo install the processor pretty much connecting everything back. and installing the windows.

its the leadtek graphics card thats all i know. i might go for the 6600gt soon though.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Well brands usally don't make any difference as most of them go by the same design. Really, the only difference in brands is the warrenty the carry, and sometimes the price :p

flame1117

banned
I think the installation price might be a little high, the installation part shouldn;t have taken to long...but its not to bad. Most places charge more then I think they should for installation, but thats prabally average for installation I would say.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
MSI K8TNeo2-F Via Socket 939 ATX Motherboard / Audio / AGP 8x / Gigabit LAN / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA / RAID ..... $99
You can get a cheaper board featuring an NF3-250 chipset (which is superior to the K8T800 on the MSi board there)

total is like $320. was i ripped or not?
I wouldnt say so

last question are the 6200 better than the 5000 series?
Yes and no. 6200 > 5200, 6200~=5500 however 6200<everything else. It's not a heavy gaming card if thats what you're asking

I think the installation price might be a little high, the installation part shouldn;t have taken to long...but its not to bad. Most places charge more then I think they should for installation, but thats prabally average for installation I would say.
Even though it may only take 20 minutes to install generally this kinda stuff is on a per-day basis rather than per-minute