Good first buy?

Gaby12456

Okay I bough a
•msi 760gm-p33 mobo
•athlon II x3 460 CPU
•4gb of AMD ram
• 300w power supply.

Going to use it for emails, homework, and other work. No gaming. What else would you recommend or should I change any of these that I bought. Thanks for your help

spirit

Staff member
It all looks fine to me but I would ask which 300W PSU did you go for? I would probably recommend replacing that with this Corsair CX430 because not only is a good quality PSU, it will allow you room to install a graphics card in the future should you want to becasue the wattage is higher and I would imagine the amperage to the +12V rail is too. You never know what you may want to do down the line.

spirit

Staff member
Not a bad brand from what I've read online but certainly not up there with Corsair. Also, can I ask did you buy the board, CPU and RAM and PSU and then fit them into a case you already had and used a hard drive and optical drive you already had as well?

I would say though that apart from the power supply, everything else looks good. If it's not going to be for gaming then the tri-core Athlon should be fine and 4GB of RAM should be plenty.

cabinfever1977

that rosewill cost $34,a little bit more would have got you a name brand,cause rosewill is just a generic newegg brand,probally ok if you just doing basic stuff,but wont be good for upgrading.

he said:"Going to use it for emails, homework, and other work. No gaming."

spirit

Staff member
cabinfever1977 said:
probally ok if you just doing basic stuff,but wont be good for upgrading.

he said:"Going to use it for emails, homework, and other work. No gaming."
It doesn't really matter what you use your computer for, I think you should have a decent brand-name power supply, especially if you're going to leave your PC for long hours because that's when the 80+ efficiency really comes in. whilst most generic PSUs have written on the box in big capital letter 80+ BRONZE CERTIFIED, they're lying, they aren't really - they're really nowhere near as efficient. You will likely save money on electrical bills by using a quality PSU so it's worth paying the small extra in the first place. As they say, the power supply is the most important part of the computer.

Last edited:

Gaby12456

Not a bad brand from what I've read online but certainly not up there with Corsair. Also, can I ask did you buy the board, CPU and RAM and PSU and then fit them into a case you already had and used a hard drive and optical drive you already had as well?

I would say though that apart from the power supply, everything else looks good. If it's not going to be for gaming then the tri-core Athlon should be fine and 4GB of RAM should be plenty.

I had a hard drive and optical
Drive. Or would you recommend to change
Those too?

Mishkin

I think you'll be very happy with what parts you chose, considering what you'll be using the system for. I see no problem with that psu since you don't plan on gaming.

spirit

Staff member
Gaby12456 said:
I had a hard drive and optical
Drive. Or would you recommend to change
Those too?
It depends what you've got. If you're using an old IDE/PATA hard drive I'd change it to a SATA one once the prices have come down (they're still pretty expensive thanks to the floods in the Middle East). Optical Drive wise if you're only using an IDE CD-ROM drive I'd change it to a SATA DVD-RW. What are you using?

Gaby12456

okay i finished the bulid and left the hard drive and dvd from the old computer. Now my problem is that when i turn the computer on, it shows the mother board, then it says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". It won't let me go to the BIOS or anywhere else. Please help.

Gary1

It doesn't really matter what you use your computer for, I think you should have a decent brand-name power supply, especially if you're going to leave your PC for long hours because that's when the 80+ efficiency really comes in. whilst most generic PSUs have written on the box in big capital letter 80+ BRONZE CERTIFIED, they're lying, they aren't really - they're really nowhere near as efficient. You will likely save money on electrical bills by using a quality PSU so it's worth paying the small extra in the first place. As they say, the power supply is the most important part of the computer.

Completely correct. Your PSU is your insurance package, if it blows it is possible it can take other components out with it. Always shoot for more power than you need because a good PSU can stay with you for many years. The next computer you build will most likely need more than 300W. If you keep this computer for more than 2 years your going to need to do some upgrading to keep it usable. The GPU will be a good start.

spirit

Staff member
okay i finished the bulid and left the hard drive and dvd from the old computer. Now my problem is that when i turn the computer on, it shows the mother board, then it says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". It won't let me go to the BIOS or anywhere else. Please help.
I think you need to install Windows. Do you have a hard drive in this system by the way? By the way sorry for replying late, if you are using an IDE HDD you should get rid off it and buy a SATA one instead, it's going to be so much better for you. But you said you aren't using this IDE HDD so I'm wondering if you've got one in there or not.

Gaby12456

Ok so i got ubuntu as the OS but it still won't boot. All it does when i turn it on is beep once. What could it mean? Thanks

Mishkin

That PSU looks just fine. Don't listen to the people that jaw at you about NEEDING to get a high quality unit or your system will blow up.

Rosewill isn't the greatest brand, but it isn't terrible either. A 350W Rosewill unit will do just fine for your build, since you won't be gaming. I see zero reason to "upgrade" it. That would be just slightly better than pointless, and far from worth it.