Good for gaming?

Cleric7x9

haha, well, these are the joys of building your own computer, you need to make these decisions. also, people will always disagree. Vista 64-bit is the least supported of the windows operating systems. very few programs use the 64 bit architecture, and the driver that are available for it (drivers are needed to make your hardware work) are all very new and buggy. i really dont know why anyone would use vista 64 bit, or recommend it to a relatively new builder such as yourself

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
vista64 bit? why on earth would he need 64bit? just another headache to add to the driver hunt! he isnt even planning on use 4gb of ram

If your buying vista, why would you get 32bit? you can only use 3gb of ram compared to the 64bit 16gb, there are realy no driver issues with 64bit. If a company has drivers for vista more than likely they will have it for 32 and 64bit. 64 bit is more "future" proof, might not be too much longer and they will start having apps that require 64bit os's. It would be pointless to buy 32bit if your purchasing vista

Cleric7x9

If your buying vista, why would you get 32bit? you can only use 3gb of ram compared to the 64bit 16gb, there are realy no driver issues with 64bit. If a company has drivers for vista more than likely they will have it for 32 and 64bit. 64 bit is more "future" proof, might not be too much longer and they will start having apps that require 64bit os's. It would be pointless to buy 32bit if your purchasing vista

well, i respect your opinion, but i have to say that i disagree

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Yes...I completely understand what's going on right now...
:p

What's 64 bit?

Use the "search" tab at top to search operating systems, it has been asked several times. Trust me 64bit is the way to go, its not like 64bit XP which just plain sucked, 64bit vista is about as popular as the 32bit version. Therefor if a company has drivers for 32bit they will for 64bit.

I have been running 64bit for months now and so have others here with no driver or compatibility issues what so ever

hpi

banned
If you build a computer, do you get a kit or just a bunch of seperate parts?

The most I'm willing to spend would 700 which is already a stretch for me, but why get something for cheaper that I'm not happy with when I can get something for a bit more that I prefer?

Theres babrebone kits which come with the cpu installed onto the mobo already and a psu but it's usually a low quality psu.

OR

You order all the parts separately and when they arrive at your house you put them all together.

What you can get for cheaper building it yourself is way better than buying something more expensive that you pay more. Remember, companies have to pay for the parts that are in the pc and they have to make money for themselves so they obviously charge more money for what they sell.

For 700$ you can build yourself a system that's better than the one you asked if it was good.

hpi

banned

To bad flamings not allowed on here or youd get some of it.

First off, hes a new builder and all it's gonna do is add to the headaches.

Second off, 3 gb of ram is not enough? What the hell does he need more then even 2gb's of ram for what he wants to do with the pc for? Hes not running a server or anything that he needs 16gb and hes not using dx10 or anything.

Third off, The rule of thumb most of the time with software is if it's new it has issues.

And yes it will be a while before 64 bit starts being useful in everyday computing at home.

It actually be a way better idea for him to get 32 bit then 64 bit and another thing, how many people or what does he need to do have and require 64 bit?

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Im not flaming, just debating :p

64bit runs 32bit apps, theres realy no disadvantage of using 64bit. Like i said just about every company that has drivers for vista will have for both 32 and 64. But it don't matter now, hes going with XP.

hpi

banned
Never get alienware. There over priced systems for nothing.

And that one isn't a good one at all imo.