Good gaming build?

dragonair9

Hey,

I have posted a thread a few months ago about a computer build and since then I changed my build and wanted opinions on the new one.

Basket link: here and here

GPU:MSI R9 290 GAMING 4G € 374,80
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 / 3.5 Ghz - 6 MB cache € 179,70
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING € 87,89
Case: NZXT H440 Black € 99,55
Power: Corsair CX Series Modular CX750M € 78,99
SSD: Crucial M500 240GB € 94,99
Storage: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB € 48,97
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 2x4GB € 68,39
Wi-fi: Just a network card nothing special € 39,94
TOTAL: 1,102.15

This is it. The reason why I got so much power is because I am not sure if I wanna have 2 videocards.
I'd rather not spend more than I did here, but if there's something so amazing-ly better I'll see what I can do.

P.s english isn't my main lagnuage, sorry for any mistakes I might have made

Last edited:

Jiniix

The 1TB HDDs from Seagate are far more reliable than their higher capacity ones. It almost looks like they deliberately left them out to harm Seagate :) Now is when I think back to the days of Source Criticism, which we learned in IT school.
Both links are based on the same data, from an online backup service, with the intend to keep you away from physical storage. I wouldn't put much weight in to either 'articles'.
"Seagate drives are not very reliable at all. As you can see in the second graph below, Seagate drives are fine for the first year, but failures quickly start building up after 18 months."
I have several 1TB drives from Seagate running strong after 2-4 years, but with 500GB and 1TB platters.

spirit

Staff member

I think I would stick with Seagate. I only tend to buy Seagate, WD or Samsung when looking at hard drives. I tend to stay away from Hitachi.

@dragonair9 your build does look good - certainly very powerful indeed. I would however look at spending a little more on the board and getting something with a Z97 chipset. See what ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI have on offer.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
You got some nice ASrock mobos cheaper than those from ASUS...
ASrock can be called equal to these other 3 brands when you look what they achieved last 2 years.

spirit

Staff member
You got some nice ASrock mobos cheaper than those from ASUS...
ASrock can be called equal to these other 3 brands when you look what they achieved last 2 years.

Good point. I forgot about them. The Z97 Extreme4 and Extreme6 might be good boards to look at. :good:

Jiniix

ASRock have a few amazing boards.
Currently building two PCs with the lowest of the lowest end parts, so I'm using an ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0. You can update BIOS and download appropriate Windows drivers (From XP to 8.1) through the BIOS. I was quite amazed :D
Also very good built in fan control, compared to just about anyone except newer ASUS.

Okedokey

R9290s in CF will pull nearly 500W just by themselves. I would strongly recommend getting a more powerful PSU if you seriously plan on adding another 290 in there at some stage especially if you are going to overclock any component.

Quality 800W would be my recommended minimum for a R9 290 CF system.

A little more expensive, but this would be what id get http://azerty.nl/8-1073-353621/xfx-core-edition-pro850w-voe.html

For the extra 20 Euro, you get an extra 2 year warranty (worth the 20 euro alone), 8A (96W) more on the 12V rail, a 140mm fan (rather 120) so it will be quieter and a much safer crossfire power supply operation.

Last edited:

Okedokey

Thank you all for the advice, but the reason why I chose this mobo was because I am not planning to overclock. With this new information is it still needed for a z97 mobo?

EDIT: about having 2 videocards, I am not doing it anymore since this mobo can't have 2 videocards. so I decided to get this power supply instead: http://azerty.nl/0-1073-645241/coolermaster-vs-series-v650s-.html

Why that PSU????

Same price as the Corsair and has 8A LESS on the 12V rail and is poorer quality. Get the original Corsair over that any day!

dragonair9

Why that PSU????

Same price as the Corsair and has 8A LESS on the 12V rail and is poorer quality. Get the original Corsair over that any day!

Okay, thanks for all the help. but the reason why I wanted this PSU was because of the higher percentage of power it uses to actually power your pc. But like I already said, thanks!