Good GPUs for a budget?

turbodiesel

Hey guys.

So basically I am building my first Ever pc and I need some help deciding on a GPU. I plan my pc being able to play brand new games but mainly playing CSGO and watchdogs but on decent settings @ 30-60 fps and also it needs to support dual monitors (won't be using 2 monitors whilst gaming though) . I haven't got my spec list on my phone which I'm posting This from but the specs are a 8 core amd fx processor and 16gb corsair vengeance and my remanining budget (160 GBP) is on the GPU.

I saw a Radeon r9 sapphire 270x (I think) with 4gb graphics for 140 GBP (apparently on offer from 500) but I don't know if it is any good as it seemed too good to be true.

So any suggestions guys , what do you think I should do??

Thanks!!

Darren

Staff member
What's your max budget in your currency and what website do you normally shop for components at?

270X is a pretty solid card but it all depends upon your budget.

ninjabubbles3

He said 160 GBP

A GTX 960 is around 160-170, so thats a good option, or maybe a R9 280X if you can find a good deal on those

turbodiesel

550w cooler master , not sure the model

The r9 . Saw had 4gb ram and had 5 star reviews but it lookeD like an older model

turbodiesel

OK thank you looks like I will go for that!

one last question though and that is that surely the 270x will run games better because of its 4gb ram compared to the 280x and also has a higher clock speed??

spirit

Staff member
OK thank you looks like I will go for that!

one last question though and that is that surely the 270x will run games better because of its 4gb ram compared to the 280x and also has a higher clock speed??

No, the 280X is a more powerful GPU. Just look at the benchmarks I posted and you'll see the 280X is faster than the 270X.

spirit

Staff member
Awesome. I think you should go for that 280X whilst it's £170. The price will shoot up again if you wait, or they'll sell the 7 they have and then they'll be gone.

lincsman

just a thought if you want an Nvidia card that is around the same as the 280x, you could look for a good price on a GTX 770. Also just to let you know, GPU speed and VRAM are important, but not necessarily what makes a card better. I used to have a GTX 650 and I overclocked it to 1050 mhz. I now have a gtx 770 that runs without OCing it at 1050mhz, yet the gtx 770 runs WAY better than the 650 overclocked.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Of course it does. The 770 is a far, far more powerful GPU than a 650. In the same way that a 3.3GHz Core i5 smashes a 3.4GHz Pentium 4 despite the Pentium having a higher clock.

turbodiesel

ok thanks guys, it is really appreciated!

was tempted to buy a 290x 8gb off a guy on this site but it is £40 above my budget :(