Good half-height graphics cards...?

elevatorfan7072

Hey all. I'm looking for a half-height graphics card to install in our old Dell computer. Pci Express. Our monitor is VGA 1366x768. Willing to pay $100 max. Must support DirectX9 shader model 3.0 (Trying to run SFM). Thanks in advance.

Edit: There's no PCI express power plug.

Last edited:

C4C

I'd say to look into a GeForce 8000 or 9000 series.

They are outdated and aren't meant for gaming if that's what you're looking for but will power that display fine.

There are many GeForce 8400GS cards on eBay for around $10 USD. I own one of these cards and it's great for doing a little minecraft in my old computer when overclocked.

elevatorfan7072

I'd say to look into a GeForce 8000 or 9000 series.

They are outdated and aren't meant for gaming if that's what you're looking for but will power that display fine.

There are many GeForce 8400GS cards on eBay for around $10 USD. I own one of these cards and it's great for doing a little minecraft in my old computer when overclocked.

Albeit they're outdated, they're WAY better than my current GPU which can't even run TF2. (Crappy Intel G41 express chipset or something like that)
But one thing I really need to know is if it supports DX9 shader model 3.0 which is what I need.

Last edited:

ninjabubbles3

This computer has a weak little power supply only 250w i believe. but i'll have to look.

Edit: yup, only 250w. Unfortunately I can't really buy a psu right now.

Was going to suggest a GT 730, but that still requires a 300w PSU, it would probably run fine though.

I would consider just upgrading to a whole new computer, as it's possible your processor and RAM need an upgrade too

elevatorfan7072

Was going to suggest a GT 730, but that still requires a 300w PSU, it would probably run fine though.

I would consider just upgrading to a whole new computer, as it's possible your processor and RAM need an upgrade too

mostly just the processor, but i have like a quad core cpu for 775
Edit: Tried upgrading but the fans run at high speed all the time despite there's no cpu-hogging programs running

Last edited:

elevatorfan7072

I looked into it and I think that the GeForce 8400 would be good, because it has low power consumption (Max. 75W power draw I think) and supports the DirectX that I need.

Darren

Staff member
Guys, half height is not the same as single slot. Half height refers to low profile cards that can fit in smaller computers without a full sized expansion slot.

Example (has a replaceable bracket that is same height as card)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1FT-000E-00008

The card that Ninja linked is just a single slot card. Two very different things.

Last edited: