Good headset or headphone?

dragonair9

Hey,

I have build a new computer and want to be able to talk via skype with people. so my question is, what are great headsets or headphones?
I was thinking about buying a headphone and an external mic, but the problem is I don't know which one. I am debating between the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x or the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear. And about the mic, I am getting a pretty cheap one that I can clamp to my headphone cord, here's a link.
Or should I forget about this all and just get a headset, in that case, which one? I have a budget of 180 euros. I was looking at the Astro A30's or Siberia Elite.

Sorry if this post feels rushed, it kinda is.
anyway, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Okedokey

-gasp- Some people actually have a sense of good sound quality...and want headphones that aren't going to snap at the earcup joint...

What are you talking about? Skype is compressed audio and you don't even know what sound card he has? Its probably just Realtek.

The fact that he's going to gaffer tape the microphone on is ridiculous. And seinheiser aren't very good anyway. Secondly the G35s are rock solid, and don't have any issues around the earcup joint....

Thirdly the G35s have almost the exact same frequency response, have twice the number of drivers per cup, higher impedance and 7.1 rather than just stereo. Secondly they have a built in mic, and are half the price.

So unless he has a top range sound card he'd be a fool to spend the money on what is a rip off.

AnonNone

What are you talking about? Skype is compressed audio and you don't even know what sound card he has? Its probably just Realtek.

The fact that he's going to gaffer tape the microphone on is ridiculous. And seinheiser aren't very good anyway. Secondly the G35s are rock solid, and don't have any issues around the earcup joint....

Thirdly the G35s have almost the exact same frequency response, have twice the number of drivers per cup, higher impedance and 7.1 rather than just stereo. Secondly they have a built in mic, and are half the price.

So unless he has a top range sound card he'd be a fool to spend the money on what is a rip off.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Headphones-Headsets-Microphones/G35-Right-ear-cup-snapped-off/td-p/903628

Just one case, I don't know about frequency response, but just because it has more drivers doesn't mean it is better, neither does 7.1. Sennheiser are the utmost of quality, that is why they are one of the top headphone brands. They speak for themselves.

Perfectly right about the compressed audio tidbit though, but I'm sure he will use them for more than JUST skype.

Last edited:

Okedokey

Well mate, basically your argument is nonsense. You're saying because one person has had a broken pair, then its a faulty set.

Secondly your other argument is based entirely on brand. Nothing more.

Nuff said.

dragonair9

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Headphones-Headsets-Microphones/G35-Right-ear-cup-snapped-off/td-p/903628

Just one case, I don't know about frequency response, but just because it has more drivers doesn't mean it is better, neither does 7.1. Sennheiser are the utmost of quality, that is why they are one of the top headphone brands. They speak for themselves.

Perfectly right about the compressed audio tidbit though, but I'm sure he will use them for more than JUST skype.

I am indeed going to use it for more than just skype, should've said it. But I never really got an answer. All I got was an argument why I should or shouldn't the g35s. I do aprecciate it though :D but the thing is, why are the momentum on ears and the m50x a rip-off? I thought sennheiser was the best headphone company and the m50 the best headphone for it's price range. And about the sound card, I got the msi h87-g43 gaming mobo. Not sure what sound card it has.

Last edited:

Okedokey

It is a realtek sound card on that motherboard not warranting any significant purchase for headphones. Forget the brand, look at the specs. The G35s are much better for gaming and have a built in microphone and almost the exact same specs. As I have already said, there are far better headphones and they're all a waste of money running of Realtek hardware. Unless you're going to buy a 2 or 3 hundred dollar sound card, you're wasting your money getting anything better than the G35s for your computer.

dragonair9

It is a realtek sound card on that motherboard not warranting any significant purchase for headphones. Forget the brand, look at the specs. The G35s are much better for gaming and have a built in microphone and almost the exact same specs. As I have already said, there are far better headphones and they're all a waste of money running of Realtek hardware. Unless you're going to buy a 2 or 3 hundred dollar sound card, you're wasting your money getting anything better than the G35s for your computer.

Okay, thanks for that explanation. Didn't quite understand it at first I think. But again, thanks really aprecciate it.

AnonNone

Well mate, basically your argument is nonsense. You're saying because one person has had a broken pair, then its a faulty set.

Secondly your other argument is based entirely on brand. Nothing more.

Nuff said.

There are a lot more "faulty set"'s where that came from, it is a design flaw using plastic like that, I could look around and post a lot of links to various proofs but that should be your job if you are trying to say that it was just a faulty set. You also didn't bother commenting about my other points on this.

As for my second argument it has nothing to do with brand and everything to do with the reviews of the brand. Audio Technicas and Sennheisers are 2 of the top headphone brands period I'll provide ample proof of that if you request it but otherwise I'm not wasting my time, as well as that you don't necessarily need a high end sound card to notice a difference in sound quality. Above all that a pair of Sennheiser or Audio Technicas will last you a lifetime if you take care of them, which pays for themselves unlike the plasticy Logitech junk.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong by the way, Logitech has their place on some things, but headsets/phones are not one of their strong points.

Last edited:

Okedokey

Do you have the G35s? I do, they're build very sturdy. The arms are made of metal btw. So talk about something you know. Your other arguments are based on nothing more than brand recognition. The specs (which is what matters) are almost identical.

AnonNone

Do you have the G35s? I do, they're build very sturdy. The arms are made of metal btw. So talk about something you know. Your other arguments are based on nothing more than brand recognition. The specs (which is what matters) are almost identical.

The metal arms don't matter if the plastic earcup joint breaks off. I know exactly what I'm talking about and I take offense to that insult. Plastic isn't sturdy, plastic will crack and snap eventually. The specs might be "almost identical", but I'm almost certain that Sennheiser uses higher quality materials as well as I'm certain Logitech's are made in China. I don't base my arguments on "brand recognition", you do.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
I have the G930's and love them. Durable, great sound quality for a gaming headset, and excellent mic.

Okedokey

The metal arms don't matter if the plastic earcup joint breaks off. I know exactly what I'm talking about and I take offense to that insult. Plastic isn't sturdy, plastic will crack and snap eventually. The specs might be "almost identical", but I'm almost certain that Sennheiser uses higher quality materials as well as I'm certain Logitech's are made in China. I don't base my arguments on "brand recognition", you do.

What are you on about, this proves nothing.

hd6502.jpg

orig.jpg

AnonNone

What are you on about, this proves nothing.

hd6502.jpg

orig.jpg

I never said all Sennheisers were good, did I? My point is still valid, plastic cracks and snaps eventually which is why I recommended he get the Sennheiser pair he chose (all metal there). I still argue those were harder to break than the cheapo chinese plastic stuff they use for Logitech's though.

Last edited:

PCunicorn

As long as you take care of your stuff, its gonna last a long time if its a good brand. Doesn't matter of its plastic or metal. So if all OP is doing is Skype, it is completely pointless to spend a bunch if money in a good pair of headphones unless he plans on tossing them around a lot, in which case he should get a strong headset or pair of headphones.

AnonNone

As long as you take care of your stuff, its gonna last a long time if its a good brand. Doesn't matter of its plastic or metal. So if all OP is doing is Skype, it is completely pointless to spend a bunch if money in a good pair of headphones unless he plans on tossing them around a lot, in which case he should get a strong headset or pair of headphones.

How can you say that with any sort of seriousness? Plastic is a terrible material for anything that will be under strain for an extended period of time (e.g. headphones). While plastic will always crack metal will not, it will only bend if put under an immense amount of strain, and in that case you can just bend it back. Also like what was said earlier by OP:

I am indeed going to use it for more than just skype, should've said it. But I never really got an answer. All I got was an argument why I should or shouldn't the g35s. I do aprecciate it though but the thing is, why are the momentum on ears and the m50x a rip-off? I thought sennheiser was the best headphone company and the m50 the best headphone for it's price range. And about the sound card, I got the msi h87-g43 gaming mobo. Not sure what sound card it has.

Okedokey

But he has a realtek onboard sound controller. Not worth buying expensive headsets for, even if what you claim about HDPP is correct. Which it isn't.

PCunicorn

On board audio really isn't that bad. It's improved a lot over recent years and you really don't need any more then it unless you have a really nice pair of headphones or speakers, usually $250+. Now, I'm sure a sound card will make a sub $250 pair of headphones sound better, but not so much to were on board audio sounds God awful compared.

OP, get some Sennheiser HD558s, and maybe a sound card if you are a audiophile and have the extra cash. The M50s are good headphones, but from what I hear the 558s are quite a bit better. The reason ATH M50s are so popular is they look good, are lightweight, sound good, and are at a great price. The 558s sound great and are at a great price. Not really good looking, and not light (though they aren't massive).

For a mic, a Blue Snowball would be a good choice under $50. For above that, I would get a Audio Technical USB mic. I've heard great things about all of them. BTW, a Blue Yeti is also a great choice.

Last edited: