Good magazine for learning about new components?

JohnJSal

Is there a good PC magazine that deals specifically with building your own PC, and thus reviews all the individual components rather than reviewing premade systems or other, more mainstream things like that?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I like Maximum PC. They discuss just about everything you are looking for. :D Click "PDFS" on the banner at the home page. You can check out some of their issues.

JohnJSal

I like Maximum PC. They discuss just about everything you are looking for. :D Click "PDF" on the banner at the home page. You can check out some of their issues.

Thanks. That was also what a review on Amazon said. Seems like PC World and Computer Shopper are much more mainstream and don't really talk about the parts as much as the whole. :)

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
The magazines you listed are junk (as you probably noticed), and definitely not what you're looking for.

JohnJSal

The magazines you listed are junk (as you probably noticed), and definitely not what you're looking for.

I also just saw Computer Power User. Is that the kind I was describing? Probably I'll head to B&N tomorrow and see if they have these two, and look at them.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I also just saw Computer Power User.

That looks like a good mag too.

I've subscribed to Maximum PC for a couple years. Their hardware reviews are usually spot on, and they use excellent benchmarking methods to test the components. It's a pretty well rounded PC mag. As I said, you can review all their past issues in PDF format at their website.

JohnJSal

That looks like a good mag too.

I've subscribed to Maximum PC for a couple years. Their hardware reviews are usually spot on, and they use excellent benchmarking methods to test the components. It's a pretty well rounded PC mag. As I said, you can review all their past issues in PDF format at their website.

Thanks. I'll probably buy a copy of it tomorrow if I find it and see how it is. I love reading about this stuff, despite the fact that I've yet to actually touch a motherboard or CPU chip. :)

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I love reading about this stuff, despite the fact that I've yet to actually touch a motherboard or CPU chip. :)

Exactly. I was the same way. That's why I subscribed. Before I knew how to install a hard drive, I started reading the mag. It really helped me develop an understanding of how everything works. I'd encourage you to read some of the past issues. They have a lot of How-to's in previous issues.

Being a member of this forum will help you as well. :)

JohnJSal

Exactly. I was the same way. That's why I subscribed. Before I knew how to install a hard drive, I started reading the mag. It really helped me develop an understanding of how everything works. I'd encourage you to read some of the past issues. They have a lot of How-to's in previous issues.

Being a member of this forum will help you as well. :)

Yeah, it already *is* helping! I already feel much more confident about building than I did just a couple days ago.

JohnJSal

Ok, I stocked up on a copy of both magazines. The good thing is that since they are the December issues, they both have "best of 2007" articles, as well as "what's coming in 2008" articles, so that will be helpful.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I stocked up on a copy of both magazines. The good thing is that since they are the December issues, they both have "best of 2007" articles, as well as "what's coming in 2008" articles, so that will be helpful.

Yeah, there's a lot of good info in this months issue of Max PC. Where did you find that other one? I've never seen it on a newsstand.

Happy reading. :)

JohnJSal

Yeah, there's a lot of good info in this months issue of Max PC. Where did you find that other one? I've never seen it on a newsstand.

Happy reading. :)

I got them both at J&R while I was looking around at the hardware. I didn't need to check Barnes and Noble after that, but I would guess they might not have it.

JohnJSal

No problem. We have Fry's Electronics here in Sacramento. Hopefully they have it next time I shop there. :D

Do you like the magazine? Is it what you were looking for?

Yeah, we have Fry's in Texas but apparently there isn't one here in NYC. :(

I haven't gone through the magazine yet but I'll let you know.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
In my opinion, computer magazines are for the computer literate. I'd recommend a "------ For Dummies" Book. That's how I got started, and this is where I am right now.