Good Netbook?

Respital

Hey guys,

I have a chance to snag a new netbook for 299$CAD and i was wondering if it is worth it to buy it. I'm not really sure what i could use it for, any idea what i should do with it?

Here are the specs as provided to me:

CPU: Intel Atom N270 (1.6Ghz, 533FSB, 512 KB L2 cache)
RAM: 1024MB SDRAM (No more information provided to me)
HDD: 160GB SATA HDD 5400RPM
PWR: 30W adapter with power cord
24W 2200mAh 3-cell Li-ion battery pack
Up to 3 hours battery life
Display: 8.9" TFT LCD 1024 x 600 resolution.

Networking:
  • Webcam supporting 0.3 megapixel resolution
  • WLAN: 802.11b/g Wi-Fi CERTIFIED
  • LAN: 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet
Software:
  • Windows XP Home
  • Adobe Reader
  • McAfee Internet Security Suite

Others:
  • SD Card Reader expansion
  • High definition audio support, two built in speakers
  • 5-in-1 card reader
  • 3USB ports
  • VGA port
  • headphones speaker line-out jack
  • microphone in jack
  • Ethernet (RH-45) port
  • dc jack
  • 84key Keyboard with small key travel (Thought this mite be important)
  • Touch pad pointing device with two buttons
  • 12 function keys

Weight: 2.45lbs.
Size: 9.8 x 6.7 x 1.14 inches

USB Mouse included.
One year International travelers Warranty

A Cheese Danish

For $299CAD, that is pretty good! Netbooks round here in the states are ~$300-$450USD.
As far as netbooks go though, they are like a smaller scale of larger notebooks, and they are usually only intended for, well the internet lol
You could do school work on it and just use it for short journeys to use for fun.
Idk, it's up to you what you want to do with it.

aviation_man

If that's all you want to do, like A-cheese-danish said, surf the web and create documents then yeah that's a KILLER deal. But don't expect it to be great at games and such...

daisymtc

What brand is it?
I don't recommend 8.9", I feel it too small. It's up to you.

I've try those Netbook's keyboard and mouse pad at the shop, I like samsung most...

traudong

What brand is it?

I've try those Netbook's keyboard and mouse pad at the shop, I like samsung most...

well, 8.9" is normal size for netbook. If u get a bigger one, it would be a laptop, wouldnt it :D

Respital

For $299CAD, that is pretty good! Netbooks round here in the states are ~$300-$450USD.
As far as netbooks go though, they are like a smaller scale of larger notebooks, and they are usually only intended for, well the internet lol
You could do school work on it and just use it for short journeys to use for fun.
Idk, it's up to you what you want to do with it.

Yea i was thinking roughly the same things.

If that's all you want to do, like A-cheese-danish said, surf the web and create documents then yeah that's a KILLER deal. But don't expect it to be great at games and such...

Really? Wow i thought this would be like borderline expensive. :p

Whats the brand of it?

I'm being told it's an Acer.

What brand is it?

Hmm well it does look a little small, maybe i'll go somewhere and try it out first. Why Samsung? I like them for monitors and such but netbooks?

well, 8.9" is normal size for netbook. If u get a bigger one, it would be a laptop, wouldnt it :D

I think the biggest a notebook can be is 10.9"..?

I think you got a good deal with that notebook... is it new? if not check out for any scratches and other defects.

Yup it's brand new.

daisymtc

There is bigger size of 10". and with the 8.9" one the keyboard is a little bit small, i can't type properly...

Last edited:

daisymtc

Hmm well it does look a little small, maybe i'll go somewhere and try it out first. Why Samsung? I like them for monitors and such but netbooks?

Most netbook have roughtly the same spec. IMO, there are three thing to consider, which is battery life, the look, how good is the keyboard and mouse pad.
I like samsung purely due to the feel of its keyboard and mouse pad.
I have a try on acer/ msi/ dell/ asus, i don't like their mouse pad...

Last edited:

Respital

Most netbook have roughtly the same spec. IMO, there are three thing to consider, which is battery life, the look, how good is the keyboard and mouse pad.
I like samsung purely due to the feel of its keyboard and mouse pad.
I have a try on acer/ msi/ dell/ asus, i don't like their mouse pad...

Yeah I've noticed that.

Well it defiantly looks like a great deal considering it costs over 400$ at amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NTDIIS...=A3T7DP7IJ54S2Q&tag=priceg279-20&linkCode=asn)