Good or bad Brand?

bragr

Anyone have opinions on ASRock as a brand? I am an Intel and AMD board buyer because I know that I will get a good product, but this ASRock board I am looking at has everything that I need and the price is right. Google doesn't seem to pop up with anything bad about them and they appear to have won several awards.

But that can be misleading. Any personal stories? Great successes? Miserable failures? Problems with tech support?

Oh and its this board if anyone is curious.

EDIT: I just found out that ASRock was started by, and is a subsideriary of, ASUS. In my book, that makes them a little less suspect. Still any thoughts?

Last edited:

bragr

Dust. High in fat or low in fat? Anybody...? Anybody...?

bragr

I am aware of that it is the "low end" and therefore cheap. Which is my reason for considering. I want to know if its cheap because ASUS figured they could make more money by essentially re-branding some of their boards and targeting lower end users or if they sell just plain cheap board that are going to die in a weak.

bragr

I know that, but it meets other specs that I want. I can find other AM2+, but none support DD2 1033 or have 2 PCI Express 2.0 etc. Most that do support ddr2 1033 require that you have a an AM+ processor. I don't. I'm gettting this one with the hope of upgrading in the future.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Its not 1033, its DDR2 1066. And you have to have a Phenom to support DDR2 1066 because AMDs memory controller is on the processor not the motherboard. The Athlon 64 memory controller only supports up to DDR2 800 if you have a AM2 or AM2+. As far as Asrock they are good for a frisbee, see how far you can throw it. There is alot a AM2+ boards that have 2 slots for SLI or CF, Nvidia 750/780a chip boards and AMD 790F/FX boards, and all AM2+ boards have PCIe 2.0

Last edited:

bragr

Its not 1033, its DDR2 1066. And you have to have a Phenom to support DDR2 1066 because AMDs memory controller is on the processor not the motherboard. The Athlon 64 memory controller only supports up to DDR2 800 if you have a AM2 or AM2+. As far as Asrock they are good for a frisbee, see how far you can throw it. There is alot a AM2+ boards that have 2 slots for SLI or CF, Nvidia 750/780a chip boards and AMD 790F/FX boards, and all AM2+ boards have PCIe 2.0

Oops, my bad. I ment 1066, thanks for catching that. F***ing dyslexia. All right. I haven't boughten it yet. If I stick a Phenom in an AM2 (yes I know that it will limit it somewhat) can it make used of 1066?

bragr

How is the Gigabyte brand then? The reason why I am asking is that there aren't really that many AM2+ boards yet. Check out Newegg with my specifications. And I kinda want the wireless since my home office is not wired with CAT 5/6 and the router/cable modem are downstairs.

StrangleHold

Staff member
If you want a Crossfire board I think this is the best deal of any of them for the price. I sold a setup with it and a Phenom 9850 and didnt have any problems with it and it has a ton of overclocking features.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136044

Or if you want a SLI board, the way this one is setup it doesnt kill you PCI slots with a SLI setup
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128339

The 780a are over priced. You can just pop a wireless card in any of them.