Good or Not?

4W4K3

VIP Member
Phippsp said:
RAID 0 seems faster ic but RAID 1 is much safer this is what ur telling me?

Basically yes. The chances of a brand new HDD failing are pretty low, but if it does happen and you are running RAID0 you lost ALL your data even though you have 2 seperate drives. I prefer RAID1 just for security, but RAID0 is proven to be faster.

mgoldb2

VIP Member
Phippsp said:
RAID 0 seems faster ic but RAID 1 is much safer this is what ur telling me?

correct with RAID 0 will be faster. RAID 1 is safer especially if you cant afford to lose your data.

mgoldb2

VIP Member
Phippsp said:
Asus AV8 it has RAID

I believe that motherboard can support up to 8 harddrives if you have no cd drives connected. if you have 2 cddrives then it can support 6 harddrives.

Phippsp

Well i think im going with Dvd-rom and cd-burner I havent yet gotton into learning cd drives yet im now learning about hard drive :) Im learning as im builing learned all about Motherboard and video card now im learning about hard drives, next is memory then cd drives. So im going to have 2 cd drives and i belive will this be good?

2 80gb hard drives on RAID0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-171-055&depa=0
and 1 160gb hard drive?

Both 7200rpm 8mb buffer and same brand proble Maxtor?

Phippsp

What do I need to setup raid and to setup the third motherboard is it all bios setting up or is it something I need to buy.

Yeti

VIP Member
I just bought two of those Hitachi 80 GBs a week ago and set them as RAID0 (they went down in price 50 cents too :( ) Thats a good idea to have the RAID setup plus another drive for storage (I have the RAID plus a 160 GB and 250 GB for storage) since I don't completely trust keeping any important data on RAID. As far as setup, you'll need to change a few things in your BIOS and if you're going to install the OS on the array you'll have to load the drivers (F4) when installing windows - so no you don't have to buy anything else.

Phippsp

Ok for me that was basicall gibberish i understood the hard drives and bios but I have never really messed around in the bios. Is this something that I could proble do and proble not mess up with some sort of guidance like a webpage or something?

Yeti

VIP Member
All you really need to do is study your motherboard manual. It should explain everything. And if you have questions about something thats unclear (which is likely) just post them. As far as my post being gibberish :), sorry about that I was basically commending your decision.

Yeti

VIP Member
Yeah, thats basically just stuff about installing windows onto a new RAID array. You'll understand when you get there. ;)

Phippsp

mgoldb2 said "yes you can have 2 harddrives on the raid controler and a third on the IDE interface."

Does this mean I should buy the third back up hard drive maken sure it is IDE? as i look on newegg some of them say IDE on them

Last edited:

Yeti

VIP Member
Technically IDE (integrated drive electronics) is either PATA which is commonly referred to (incorrectly) as IDE, and SATA (S=serial, P=parallel). If I don't correct you on that someone else will. Yes, it is possible to have 2 HDDs on RAID and one (or more) PATA drive. Its also possible to have 2 SATA on RAID and one other SATA HDD. Its really just preference. Most hard drives don't use the full bandwidth of ATA133 (common PATA speed) much less the speed of SATA.

Phippsp

Alright this I think about sums it up. But 1 last thing to say here. Im tring to find either 2 40gb 7200 SATA hard drives and 1 80gb 7200 SATA hard drive.

But at the moment I can only find a reasonable 2 80gb 7200 SATA HDD which I think would only be reasonable to get a 160gb 7200 SATA HDD. Now i know you told mean I can use a PATA with the SATA ones but Id rather keep it simple :p I heard the less gb you have will incrase the computer performance. Now the jump from 40 to 80 as I saw price wise they are almost the same. And also I don't believe that the performance would be much of a difference either. But im just asking if im incorrect would there be a big difference? Price wise I think the 40's and 80 would save me some bucks. Since the 40 will equal 80 which is plenty of space since im not running any special things except gaming. The 40's are just a bit easier to find a match.

Yeti

VIP Member
I'm a little confused by that last post. Are you looking for 2 40 GB drives or 2 80 GB drives? 1 160 GB? As far as speed is concerned, I wouldn't worry about going from a 40 GB drive to a 80 GB (especially if their in RAID), you won't be able to tell the difference. I would go with the 80 GB drives (actually I already did - 2 80GB Hitachi) since they are maybe a couple bucks more than the 40 GB drives. And you might find a use for the extra space someday (try digital video recording - fills hard drive space very fast)

Phippsp

My friend just brough up something today that I did not know...RAID 5! He says that RAID is a great way if you would buy 3 hard drives of the same type. Like Hitachi 80gb 7200rpm 8mb x3 you could set it up on RAID 5 and have just as fast and he told me that if one of them crash then you would not loose any information that you have. Is this true would it better to ook up RAID 5 with three HDD or should my regular statement still go with 2 HDD on RAID0 and have a third one as a back up?

How many RAIDs are there? I seen a RAID6 and I just didn't pay attention to it.

Yeti

VIP Member
To make a long story short - to use RAID 5 you should really have a specific RAID controller (though Windows XP can do it) because it uses a lot of CPU processing. Most motherboards support onboard RAID 0 and 1 which is why thats what you see people using most often.

RAID 5 - storage = (number of hard drives - 1) x storage capacity of each drive