Good?

bmrbob

Please tell me you thoughts about this setup and what I can do to better it? Should I downgrade something to make something else better? This is pretty much the maximum I can spend($1000) Thanks

-CASE - Raidmax Samurai-908 Gaming Case w/420W Power

-PROCESSOR - [939-pin] AMD® Athlon-64 3000+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology

-MOTHERBOARD - Foxconn WinFast NF4K8MC-ERS nVidia nForce4 Chipset w/LAN, 5.1 Sound, IEEE-1394, USB 2.0 PCI-E Motherboard

-MEMORY - 1024 MB Dual Channel [512MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200

-VIDEO CARD - Nvidia Geforce 6600GT 128mb w/DVI + TV Out

-HARD DRIVE - Maxtor 80 GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA-133

-16x DVD-ROM Drive - Sony

-Sony DWD-26A Dual Format/Double Layer 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive

-Creative Lab Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit 7.1

Also, will it be good enough to play the new better games? (Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Unreal Tournament, Counter Strike)

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Looks pretty good... I don't know much about the mobo, but the NF4 is a great chipset. Check to be sure the video card is PCIe.

Eh, the HD is probably fine, but I'm not a fan of Maxtor due to the many problems I've had in the past...

As for you're DVD drives, I'd go with another brand just because I've heard Sony is tipically just rebranded Lite-On drives. You might be able to find something less.

YOu should be fine with those games. That comp's pretty close to my specs and I can play Doom 3 on Ultra with next to no obivous frame loss. Yet to try HL2, but my old computer played it fine, and it wasn't nearly as good as that one...

bmrbob

Ya, it is. Will it be fast enough for offline moving around the computer? Or should I try to save and get it higher than an AMD 3000+.

Trizoy

VIP Member
-16x DVD-ROM Drive - Sony

-Sony DWD-26A Dual Format/Double Layer 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive

Why both? dvdr works as the ROM also... Save like what $13 there? :)

bmrbob

I would like to be able to burn dvd's straight from one disc to another instead of putting it on my computer first.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
neslo1211 said:
...and would probably go with a western digital :D

RIGHT ON :D Them or Seagate are my top choices... I do think Seagate is the most reliable, at least from my experience. My WD's have been great, but sometimes jumper settings can be picky, and other such rather minor problems

chainzawz

neslo1211 said:
seems good but............i would prefer a bigger hd, and would probably go with a western digital :D

Yeah If you really plan on putting alot of stuff on your computer and multi tasking or gamming u migh consider upgrading the hard drive to a 160 GB IF YOU DO ALOT OF STUFF ON UR COMPUTER!!!!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
-CASE - Raidmax Samurai-908 Gaming Case w/420W Power
PSU prolly sucks so somethign to consider there, see the PSU 101 for related info

As for you're DVD drives, I'd go with another brand just because I've heard Sony is tipically just rebranded Lite-On drives. You might be able to find something less.
Sony has been rebranded Liteys recently ... which, after the LiteOn 1633, wont be a good thing since they are slower than they should be

That comp's pretty close to my specs and I can play Doom 3 on Ultra with next to no obivous frame loss.
Thats a stretch for it being close.

Why both? dvdr works as the ROM also... Save like what $13 there?
I mentioned it in the CD/DVD101 (i think) but ROMs are far superior for reading (and there also some up-the-sleeve tricks you can only do with ROMs)

I would like to be able to burn dvd's straight from one disc to another instead of putting it on my computer first.
Not a clever idea. Data transmission stability is questionable.