Google Chrome constantly crashing on Windows 10

spirit

Staff member
Thread title says it all. I've been noticing this for weeks now on my desktop, but not on any of my other PCs. Seems to crash most often when I have about 8 tabs open and open a new one and type something into the URL bar. I've got three extensions, AdBlock, IBM Trusteer and WOT and not had any issues before though I might try disabling them and see if that helps (but I have those extensions on my other machines too and I haven't had issues with those machines).

I have uninstalled using Revo and reinstalled and I have also cleaned browser cache etc multiple times. Still crashes at least 5-10 times per day. Scanned for malware too.

In Event Viewer this is what I see:

Code:
The program chrome.exe version 45.0.2454.99 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 1580
Start Time: 01d0f6295656a385
Termination Time: 4294967295
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
Report Id: 552654e2-6220-11e5-9bfb-002683381b30
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Thanks for any help!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try running adwcleaner and see if anything comes up.

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop.

•Please close all open programs and internet browsers.
•Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
•Click on Scan.
•After the scan you will need to click on clean for it to delete the adware.
•Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
•Please post the content of that logfile in your reply.
•You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[Sn].txt as well - n is the order number.

spirit

Staff member
OK @johnb35 here's the log file, looks like it didn't find much!

Code:
# AdwCleaner v5.008 - Logfile created 23/09/2015 at 20:57:11
# Updated 18/09/2015 by Xplode
# Database : 2015-09-23.1 [Server]
# Operating system : Windows 10 Pro  (x64)
# Username : 09bro - JASON-PC
# Running from : C:\Users\09bro\Desktop\AdwCleaner.exe
# Option : Cleaning
# Support : http://toolslib.net/forum

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Folders ] *****

***** [ Files ] *****

[-] File Deleted : C:\Users\09bro\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\local storage\hxxp_www.azlyrics.com_0.localstorage
[-] File Deleted : C:\Users\09bro\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\local storage\hxxp_www.azlyrics.com_0.localstorage-journal

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Scheduled tasks ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

***** [ Web browsers ] *****

[-] [C:\Users\09bro\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data] [Search Provider] Deleted : uk.ask.com
[-] [C:\Users\09bro\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data] [Search Provider] Deleted : norlink.norfolk.gov.uk
[-] [C:\Users\09bro\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data] [Search Provider] Deleted : internet-explorer-6.en.softonic.com

:: Winsock settings cleared

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C1].txt - [1256 bytes] ##########

I should also mention that Chrome is up to date, Windows is up to date and graphics drivers are also up to date.

spirit

Staff member
Still crashing a lot, is there anything else I can do? Performance is really poor too, the browser feels slower.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Remove all your extensions and reset chrome and see what happens. Has to be something there.

Darren

Staff member
Uninstall, reboot, Registry Clean with CCleaner (make a backup!), reboot, reinstall.

I don't know what the general opinion is on registry cleaners, but for something like this it might be helpful.

spirit

Staff member
Uninstall, reboot, Registry Clean with CCleaner (make a backup!), reboot, reinstall.

I don't know what the general opinion is on registry cleaners, but for something like this it might be helpful.
I had already done a reinstall of Chrome and uninstalled using Revo but I have just done it again using Revo and CCleaner. I'm disabling extensions one by one too, IBM Trusteer is removed at the moment. I'll see if it's any better, cheers.

spirit

Staff member
OK, so this is what I have done:

1 - Firstly, I uninstalled Chrome using the 'Advanced' uninstall option in Revo, which scans for leftover files and registry entries etc
2 - Reinstalled Chrome
3 - Ran AdwCleaner
4 - Uninstalled Chrome using Revo again
5 - Ran the CCleaner registry cleaner and also the disk cleanup
6 - Reinstalled Chrome
7 - Removed all three of my extensions (IBM Trusteer, WOT and AdBlock)

Still crashing. :(

Next thing I'm going to try is updating chipset drivers, network drivers etc and do a scan with Malwarebytes. I've done a scan with Trend and my PC comes out clean but I think I'll give Malwarebytes a run.

Anybody else got any other ideas?

spirit

Staff member
Ditch Windows 10
It's working fine on my ThinkPad which is also running Windows 10, which makes me think that there is something I have on my desktop that is conflicting with it.

I've had Windows 10 on here since the day it came out and Chrome was fine up until a few weeks ago. Makes me think it's maybe an update gone wrong or something. I want to see if I can troubleshoot this and wonder if anybody else knows anything else I can check. Has anybody ever experienced this with Chrome before because I haven't and I've been using it for nearly 5 years.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You might want to give junkware removal tool a try as well.

I just don't know what it could be since you have uninstalled and reinstalled it.

spirit

Staff member
Did a scan with Malwarebytes, came out clean (scanned Drive C:\).

Junkware Removal Tool found a few bits, see the log below:

Code:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Malwarebytes
Version: 7.6.3 (09.21.2015:1)
Ran by 09bro on 25/09/2015 at 23:22:11.68

~~~ Services

~~~ Tasks

~~~ Registry Values

~~~ Registry Keys

Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{b924f0b4-0b3c-49c0-bab2-213fb9ebd1d3}
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{b924f0b4-0b3c-49c0-bab2-213fb9ebd1d3}
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{b924f0b4-0b3c-49c0-bab2-213fb9ebd1d3}

~~~ Files

~~~ Folders

~~~ Chrome

[C:\Users\09bro\Appdata\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Preferences] - default search provider reset

[C:\Users\09bro\Appdata\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Preferences] - Extensions Deleted:

[C:\Users\09bro\Appdata\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences] - default search provider reset

[C:\Users\09bro\Appdata\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences] - Extensions Deleted:
[]

Scan was completed on 25/09/2015 at 23:25:50.49
End of JRT log

Let's see if that's made any difference.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
What happens when you reinstall Chrome and don't sign in? Does it still crash?