Google Maps Pins

Whisper91

Alright, I have searched and couldn't find anything on this so hopefully this isn't a double question or whatever.

What I am trying to do is, firstly, I have made a map on Google Maps adding pins here in there. Now I am trying to embed the map into a forum. But when I try to use the link (via the link option in the top right) it won't show the pins I have placed on the map. I have pretty much tried everything.

I am guessing it is something really simple that I overlooked, but nevertheless I have ran out of options at this point.

Please help,
Thanks

NyxCharon

When you say embed, do you mean it's just a picture of the map? If so, just print screen the map and post that, and label accordingly. Not ideal, but that's what i would do. I personally dont have much use with google maps, so that's all i can offer.

Nanobyte

Are you talking about Google Earth or Google Maps? I haven't tried with maps but there are no pins just placemarks. You have to be signed in too. If it's any use, look at the lower part of this page.

Whisper91

It's like a forum like this, all I have to do is get the link (the link should come with the pins) But I cannot get that. This is just Google Maps.

What I do is get the link then put in " [MAPGOOGLE] map link here [/MAPGOOGLE] ".

And when I post, it's not a screenshot its a mini map with my pins and people can zoom in and out, and look around the city.

Nanobyte

The implication of the instructions page I linked to was that if you were not logged in and created the map in My Maps, then all you are linking to is the basic Google map. Presumably in My Maps it saves your custom data. I assume you must be in My Maps otherwise you cannot add placemarkers.

Nanobyte

Does the link contain information that looks like the placemarkers you have added? Save the map without the placemarkers, save the code, then add the placemarkers and see what that code is.

The other side of the issue is whether the forum accepts custom maps. Are there similar marked-up maps in the forum? If so, take a look at the link (view the page source) in case they are using some other scripting.

You keep talking about pins. There are no pins in Google maps, just blue placemarkers. Are you looking at something different?

Edit: Have you tried both the links you get (the email and the html). The html can be easily tested. Paste into Notepad, save as test.htm and open that in your browser.

Last edited:

Whisper91

Sorry, by Pins I mean Placemarkers. And they work perfectly fine on the forum. I usually have to hit "collaborate" and send the map to a friend's email and he will post the map. It's all about the link.

For example, I will hit "collaborate" and send it to myself and the link will be the same (not showing Placemarkers)

And the link is longer when my friend has it.

Nanobyte

More confusion. In your first post you were talking about posting into a forum and the placemarkers were not showing, all in the same sentence. Now it seems the forum is fine but sending the link to yourself does not work.

When you send it to yourself, are you using the email link or the html link? I assume if you send to someone else you have to use the email link. Does the collaborate function automatically select the email link?

If you open the link you emailed to your friend, does it show the placemarkers?