Google products in schools?

DMGrier

VIP Member
So the other day my nine year old comes home from school and I ask him what he learned in school today. He says to me "Let me show you dad" and he proceeds to boot up his computer and log into his school Gsuite account. He begins to show me some of his work to include the stuff he learns in computer class which is primarily Google apps.

I am very proud of my son and I do take quite a bit of time teaching him technology but I am worried about his generation entering the work force...

Not trying to sound like a old man but, no matter your preference or what you learned from Microsoft, Apple or Linux products, they are full software products. As I watch my son navigate the Google App's they are lacking so many features and common design functions you would find in most business class and/or enterprise software today. I get this has been a huge cost savings to the schools but I do question the cost of training to businesses as these kids enter the workforce.

These kids won't learn how to use many of the most common software found in businesses and in his school they use Chrome OS which doesn't even help them learn the basic navigation of an operating system. As someone who runs an IT department this is absolutely scary to me.

My question to you...

Do you feel that as long as technology is introduced to children they will be fine or do you worry that this limited introduction to technology could hinder children knowledge of the software in the work place which will make entering the work place more challenging?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
He's 9, most schools really don't get involved with software until high school and college. However, my daughter said that she was using Google docs to store all of her college schoolwork on so who knows. Yeah its not Excel or Word but its the generic version. I think they will be just fine.

Darren

Staff member
If it's any consolation I'd say 90 percent of my users are clueless with basic computer functionality regardless of age, usually with the younger faring better.

Most wouldn't know a well developed word processor if it kicked them in the head.

_Kyle_

My school issues out Chromebooks. Yeah, Chrome OS is pretty stripped down, including the Google products, but it's like that because most of it is web based. Google Docs. Google Drive. Google Sheets. Google Slides. Google google google google. They pretty much have an online version for everything.

I think that Chromebooks are a good introduction to computers. Easy to use and trouble shoot, easy to navigate, etc. I don't think it'll hinder their use of technology in the future, it'll just take a learning curve to use Windows or Mac, as it did for me. Learning the basic functionality of a computer doesn't take long.

DMGrier

VIP Member
All interesting points. I don't mind Chromebooks but I guess I am thinking of how do you get young people excited about technology with such stripped down systems but, I see your guys points.

Darren

Staff member
Oh I think people my age and a bit older will be the generation that's best with tech. You get much younger than me and you basically grew up with a smartphone, I didn't have one until well into high school. Might seem early to some of you but now most kids grow up with a tablet and a smartphone by early middle school it seems. Much older and you grew up figuring crap out because the internet and technology in general was pretty janky in the early days. You had to play with stuff to get it to work and learn as you went. Now everything is a tap away in sleek minimalist UI's.

_Kyle_

Oh I think people my age and a bit older will be the generation that's best with tech. You get much younger than me and you basically grew up with a smartphone, I didn't have one until well into high school. Might seem early to some of you but now most kids grow up with a tablet and a smartphone by early middle school it seems. Much older and you grew up figuring crap out because the internet and technology in general was pretty janky in the early days. You had to play with stuff to get it to work and learn as you went. Now everything is a tap away in sleek minimalist UI's.

Same, didn't have a smartphone till' early this year, and I pay for it. :)
Yeah... smartphones are the pinnacle of my generation. *sarcasm* :rolleyes: Making everybody unable to think for themselves and figure things out.

beers

Staff member
I see those a bit, but they're not a bad play. Most of the G-Suite is pretty synonymous with actual products. I don't think there's value in hammering in how to use a 25 year old GUI simply because that's the way things used to be done.

They're inexpensive, people don't get loads of viruses and most apps are web based these days, so it's a decent fit for a school implementation.

Making everybody unable to think for themselves and figure things out.
Eh I think the 'proliferation' or instant availability of information drives this. I see myself changed that way since it used to be you were basically screwed and relied on the knowledge you had upstairs. Now you just have to know how to find a specific piece of information so it's not really as important to think or know the actual information. Not saying that's ideal, but it is what it is. Those who are intrinsically motivated to figure things out have an advantage imo.