Google thinks IE10 is an old obsolete browser?!

i_hate_toms

m on a slow connection atm., and m using the basic version of gmail in IE10 running in Windows 8 Pro, 64 bit.
on top of my 'inbox', there's this text over a yellow background:-
"You are using a version of this browser which will soon be unsupported. Some features may not work correctly. Upgrade to a modern browser, such as Google Chrome. "
IE10 is old and obsolete?? :eek:

spirit

Staff member
Well there's a good excuse for you to ditch IE and get a better browser. ;)

It's probably because it's a very new browser still.

i_hate_toms

Well there's a good excuse for you to ditch IE and get a better browser. ;)

It's probably because it's a very new browser still.

hey thanks spirit :p
do u really find IE10 that bad?
I for one, find it pretty ok. pages load fast and smooth, and it has never crashed on me yet.
Then again, I find Windows 8 pretty cool too, although most of my friends think it sucks. Maybe i'm a borderline ms fanboy case lol, but I kinda' like Microsoft stuff :D

spirit

Staff member
The last version of IE I used daily was IE8, and that was about 3 years ago. IE9 is OK, truth be told I haven't tried the final release of IE10 as I haven't got Windows 8, but I tried the beta releases of IE10 in the beta releases of Windows 8 and I thought it was pretty much like IE9.

I haven't bothered with IE for a long while now.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
IE10 is basically IE9. I really don't see the difference. I use pale moon 95% of the time. IE8 the other 5%. Can't stand IE9/IE10.

Google probably doesn't realize IE 10 is a new version.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah it does appear that IE9 and 10 are virtually the same thing and yes Google probably doesn't know about IE10 yet.

i_hate_toms

Ok wow, everyone other than me absolutely hates IE10 :p
But is there any technical reason for this (from the user's point of view, not webmaster's) or is this just a case of personal choice? It's fast, stable, reliable, and almost every website is compatible with IE9 {as u suggest IE9=IE10, pages should be compatible with IE10 as well}.
Like I said, I've been using IE10 metro version for last 3 or 4 months as my default browser for Windows 8, I'm yet to stumble upon a page that won't render properly, and IE10 has never ever crashed on me! I really don't see a reason to pick Google over Microsoft.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
IE10 is basically IE9. I really don't see the difference. I use pale moon 95% of the time. IE8 the other 5%. Can't stand IE9/IE10.

Google probably doesn't realize IE 10 is a new version.

Off topic, but...

YES! I've converted the master to Pale Moon :D

wolfeking

banned
Ok wow, everyone other than me absolutely hates IE10 :p
But is there any technical reason for this (from the user's point of view, not webmaster's)
Generally, Chrome, Opera, and FF are more secure, and easier on system resources than IE.

Other than that, purely personal choice. In my opinion, the only thing IE is for is windows update and downloading Opera/Chrome.

spirit

Staff member
In my opinion, the only thing IE is for is windows update and downloading Opera/Chrome.

Haha reminds me of the famous quote "What do I use IE for? Downloading a better browser!"

I used to use Opera up until about January 2011. Opera 10 was good, but then when I updated to Opera 11 I didn't like it so I switched to Chrome and I've stuck with it for the past two years now.

AlienMenace

I used IE10 to get to Netflix, but now I use the media center to get to it. For some odd ball reason Fire fox wouldn't run netflix streaming. It said I needed to do some things that they listed and I know that my computer covered it all. So, IE10 was the one to for, don't care for Chrome or any other browser's . Firefox is my main browser.

ayan

For some applications, iexplore is the only usable browser, eg. old apps developed using Oracle forms and jInit - of course, jInit having a few compatibility problems with iexplore's add-ons, but that's life....

pasqui83

IE 10 is alright - I guess you need to get used to it, but Chrome & FF are alot nicer and smoother to use. IE 10 is very quick and like it but it doesn't take my interest and doesnt make me go "WOW its better than Chrome or FF".

I use Chrome and have the IE extension to it so anything you view on IE can be viewed on Chrome.

claptonman

That thing that says to upgrade to a more modern browser is just advertising when you're on a google site. I'd bet it'd say the same thing for the most recent firefox.