got a trojan and want to start over - format my hardrive!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As far as I can tell, everything as been removed now. I need you to do one more thing to make sure there are no bad addons in IE, as they usually cause loading problems. Open IE, click on tools menu, click on manage addons, click on search providers on the left and tell me what is listed on the right.

kona

Google is listed as 1 (my default provider) and it's disbled.....hmmm

Live Search is listed as 2.........and it's enabled.

I want Google as my default search engine and that's what I thought I went into change it to that a few days ago. I guess I didn't set it properly.

Google does come up .........eventually....about 20+ seconds most of the time to connect after I click onto it.

Is that why it's slow to open....because it's my default search engine but it's disabled?

EDITING:
I went in there and removed Live Search so Google is my Search Engine now. I also checked the box on the left at the bottom that "prevent programs from suggesting changes to my default search provider.

I restarted and it still took close to 40 seconds for the search provider to open.

ANOTHER SUBJECT WHILE I'M HERE:
I checked eBay and everytime now when I click onto a photo a seller has posted an 'about:blank' (I think that's what the tile is) screen opens and just 'hangs' there without opening the photo. Is that because I may have to reload Java or some program that may have been erased?

As far as I can tell, everything as been removed now. I need you to do one more thing to make sure there are no bad addons in IE, as they usually cause loading problems. Open IE, click on tools menu, click on manage addons, click on search providers on the left and tell me what is listed on the right.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Now that we have removed all the infections, lets try resetting IE again. Go back into internet options in control panel, click on the advanced tab and click on both restore advanced settings and the reset buttons at the bottom. Then try loading IE up. What do you have loaded as your homepage?

kona

I reset IE and restarted it. It still took about 30 secs or so to get to my Google home page.........

Google is the defaut homepage (search provider).

I went in and looked and it's still the only one there.....as I removed Live Search earlier today.
I have Internet Explorer 8 (version 8.0.6001.18702). When I open IE and my Google Home Page comes up I get a pop up Welcoming me to IE 8.0 and asking me to Setup Windows IE 8 or click a box that says ask later. I just have been xing out of that box so far.

I am still getting the orange sheild with exclaimation mark address bar that reads...."InTRanet settings are now turned off by default. Intranet settings are less secure than InTERnet settings. Click for options..."
(I've added the capital letters)

Now that we have removed all the infections, lets try resetting IE again. Go back into internet options in control panel, click on the advanced tab and click on both restore advanced settings and the reset buttons at the bottom. Then try loading IE up. What do you have loaded as your homepage?

Last edited:

kona

THANKS JOHN
I'm not getting Virus messages.

IE is very slow to open and search but at least my pc is working now.
I would to donate some cash to you folks so I'll look into doing that.

You guys are pretty terrific..........you provide a very good service.

Thanks tons!
Gary

kona

John - I deleted your email by mistake

John - I posted an edited post yesterday regarding deleting your email by mistake - see my thread in General Computer Chat

Gary

kona

JohnB35 has sorted everything out for me.........no more virus problems and my IE is working great. Thanks!