Got given an old PC.

Voltt

New Member
Hey, my friend gave me his old machine, so I looked inside and it looked pretty upgradable just from a general visual. I came here to let you guys make a better decision.

Here are the specs;

Mobo: NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL GA-8I915PMD
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz (Model Number: 519)
RAM: 512MB DDR2-SDRAM PC2-4300 (266 MHz) (Upgradable?)
PSU: 250V (Upgradable?)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 6200 LE PCI-Express (Upgradable?)

I currently have;

Case.
450V Arctic PSU.
2GB RAM (Not sure if its compatible but it may be, will report on later tonight.)


Cheers.
 
That's socket 775, so it may be very upgradeable. I can't find the specs on that model to see what the mobo supports though. Can you find a model number on the motherboard?

If the RAM is ddr2 it'll work.
 
I couldn't find a photo online - but I think I found one on ebay. Is this your Motherboard?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140378188697

The specs on Ebay listing are
µATX 24.4 cm x 24.4 cm Form Factor

Support Intel® Pentium® Hyper - Threading technology with FMB Performance

Support for an Intel® Pentium® 4 processor in a LGA775 socket with a 800 MHz system bus, 2.8Ghz to 3.8 GHz or higher.

Support for an Intel® Celeron® processor in a LGA775 socket with a 533 MHz system bus, 2.8 GHz or higher.

Four 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM DIMM sockets.

Support for single-sided or double-sided DIMMs (DDR2 400 / DDR2 533) for up to 4 GB Non-ECC system memory

Intel® High Definition Audio subsystem using the Realtek ALC880 audio codec.

Realtek RTL8100C PCI/Mini-PCI Single-Chip Fast Ethernet Controlle

​
[/CENTER][/CENTER]
 
That's what I was looking for. That's a gigabyte motherboard, so it'll be decent quality, though it doesn't use solid caps.

It doesn't support dual-cores from what I can tell, but it does support all of the Pentium 4 HT models. A 3-3.8GHz cpu with hyper-threading is a big upgrade from what you've got. ~$20-$40 on ebay. Make sure it's a model with a 2MB cache and 800MHz FSB.

It supports DDR2 533 up to 4GB, 6-channel audio, and has a PCIe x16 slot(not sure if it's 2.0), so you can get fairly modern with that.

I think if you stick a better CPU in, add a video card, and pop in the RAM you have(assuming it fits), it'll make a fairly decent HTPC, or a gaming rig if you're into games that aren't resource-intensive. MMO and RTS games would be good. That would run WoW.
 
Last edited:
intel 915P chipset??
RAM - 4 slot, up to DDR2 533, max 4GB.
so, get another 2 x 1GB DDR2 400/ 533
CPU- probably don't support new CPU, can't upgrade.
PSU - Won't need upgrade unless you change video card
Video card - if you use it for surfing web/ office work, don't need upgrading.
 
Last edited:
Upgarde mobo, change CPU, either overclock or buy faster RAM and buy solid GPU for that you could make a gaming PC or a workstation..
 
If you want to turn that into a gaming machine, im pretty sure that you will have to buy a whole new system...
 
^ Depends on the game. It may not run 80fps @ 1080p, but a good P4 HT is capable of running MW2 or Borderlands. For WoW, it'd be perfect.
 
Back
Top