Got new HDD now I need help please

SAD_DC

so I purchased a 500G maxtor for my comp...
I put it in my computer case and pluged it in (SATA)
and I started my computer...

now im lost as to what to do..
I tried using my windows vista cd and restarting my computer but when I clicked the (Repair) button it did not show my HDD..

some one please help because Im runing out of space fast

THANKS..

PC eye

banned
You will have to review the manual as well as look at any ide HDs installed. The Vista installer just like XP's will first look at any ide drives to install there. The manual for the board will provide information on enabling the sata controllers in the bios setup. With only one drive as seen in your sig the controllers are apparently disabled presently.

SAD_DC

well the main reason I got this was because I was running out of space on my current HD
but what would be the difference if I installed windows or not??

because if it doesent matter then it does not have to be on there because I mainly want to move a bunch of crap over to it or use it as a main drive instead of my current..
but yea is there a difference other than one will have win vista and the other wont?

StrangleHold

Staff member
If its showing up in the bios, go to your Control Panel, Administrative tools, Computer Management, click on disk management on the left, if the drive shows up on the bottom right, right click on the dive, partition it then format.

PC eye

banned
The screen shot there was taken while being in the Disk Management section and appears to have a working single partition on it. The question would be primary or extended there. Meanwhile one question would be on the primary. Are you presently dual booting any Linux distro? If not the primary drive's partition can be increased in size to utilize more drive space there. There's plemty of unallocated drive space noticed.

SAD_DC

how would I partition it??
By clicking on "new Simple Volume"?

because when I do that it takes me to the "new simple volume wizard"

if im on the right track so far, while im on the simple volume wizard it asks me if I want to assign the drive a letter or mount it in empty NTFS folder
after that it asks me if I want to format it at this point should I have the "perform quick format" button checked? or the "enable file and folder compression" button?

well if this is all correct then I should be good....am I??

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't enable file/floder compression. You can probably do a quick format, if the drive is brand new (not a refurb or used) then it's unlikely to have bad sectors. A quick format doesn't scan for bad sectors, it's otherwise identicle to a full format.

SAD_DC

cool It works.
so now I just move my things onto it and im good right?

Thanks.

hmm....
when I drag my files onto it
my main HD stays at 18.8 G and It doesent go down....

how can I properly move them onto the new hdd??

Last edited:

SAD_DC

....ok well heres an update...

I tried restarting my computer and it just stayed at the "amd" screen..

Then I unpluged the new hdd and it worked fine...

whats the problem??
I did everthing right from what I know...

I even tried changing the sata cables and it still did the same thing...
please help...

THANKS.

SAD_DC

yup its definatly the new hdd thats making my computer not start....

I dont know what the problem might be because Ive already tried changing the power cable to it and the sata cable and it still does the same thing..

I mean All I did before restarting my computer was add a few folders into it :(

PC eye

banned
When adding one sata model in check the hard drive menu in the bios by pressing the enter key to see which drive is seen at the top of the list. That may be seeing the new drive set as default. Also refer to the board's manual on installing drives even if you need to go to the support site to download it.

PC eye

banned
As a rule when ide drives are mixed with sata models the ide controller will override the sata by default. This is the main reason selecting and moving a drive listed to the top of the list determines which drive will be as the default boot device. Once a drive is selected the + and - keys on the Numpad are used for moving it up or down.