Got new HDD now I need help please

SAD_DC

yes they are both sata...

and when I plug in the new drive the computer doesent leave the "AMD" boot screen....

so if I start my computer like I am now my new hd is unpluged...
so what will I have to do? set my main hd which im runing now to boot first then floppy then disk in the bios??

the problem with me checking the bios while both of them are on is that It wont let me go to bios..

basically while the new drive is pluged in I cant do anything but look at a screen that says "AMD 64"
:(

SAD_DC

you know what let me tell you exactly what I did step by step from when I got it maybe it will be easier..

I installed it inside my comp
then booted up....

I went to disk management and found the new drive I then right clicked it and selected "new simple volume"
then I followed the simple volume wizard and when it started to format I left then when I got back home It had finished and I could see my new drive opened with no files in it...

So after I saw that I then dragged some of my unneeded files into it.
then when It came time to restart my computer for what ever reason it was It would not go past my amd screen...

and now I feel like i just threw away money because I cant even use this drive..

and really I went into BIOS and changed the boot order to
1.HD
2.FLOPPY
3.HD

I also tried
1.HD
2.HD
3.CD

and it did the same thing....

so I dont know what im suppose to do now

PC eye

banned
The only thing about an additional drive pulling a system down would be a factory defect seeing a short to ground pouncing on the supply itself. Or your supply there is not seeing good regulation and seeing a large dropoff when having the extra drive explaining a crash. The post session is the first demand placed on any supply when all drives are tested.

Even with the new drive set as default you should still see the failure to find boot device type message after a successful post. That' simply would be due to the lack of a primary partition and boot information to read. The insert boot disk should be seen with floppy first and insert media for optical.

For most now the floppy search setting is simply disabled and not generally needed for any XP or Vista machine while those running Linux and the older versions of Windows see that enabled for obvious reasons of boot floppies and dos utitlities for MS. With the F* boot device option available on the board for choosing whether you one time boot from floppy, one of the hard drives installed, or an optical drive you simply set the host drive as the first in the list under hard drives in the bios and set hard drives once or twice in the boot order to insure a search of the host drive for boot information.

SAD_DC

To be completely honest with you...

I dont understand what you mean by any of that sorry.

basically my computer is useless with the new hdd connected.
i seriously cant do anything.
I try going into bios...it doesent go
I try pressing "TAB" to go into setup and it doesent work...
theres really nothing that I can see myself doing thats why I need help.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
If your supply is weak adding the second drive puts a load on it that it simply won't handle. That would be a poorly regulated supply or a weak cap in it there. Some defect in the drive itself after the initial use and seeing something give out could cause a sudden drain on power such as a short to ground pulling the system down.

Another thought would be a board problem where the extra power pulled through was now seeing some problem. For a system to come to a complete there's some problem hardware or OS to be fixed there. You were seeing the drive in Windows suggesting some other problem now being realized as most likely.

SAD_DC

I dont think its my psu because
ive tried only plugging in the new hdd and it did the same thing.

PC eye

banned
Since the obvious seen now surrounds the drive itself that would be the thing to look at. A bad drive would cause a number of problems right from the start. Something musy have let go after the initial use if no other faults are found with board or supply which you just ruled out. Being new and not having copied anything personal onto it yet the manufacturer's warranty would be the move there.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know what's wrong with it but a hard drive shouldn't prevent POSTing.
ive tried only plugging in the new hdd and it did the same thing.
I don't understand exactly what you did here. Can you list everything you had plugged in when you tried this?

SAD_DC

ok what I ment by ive tried plugging in only the new hdd is...

I unplugged the power/sata cable from my main hdd (300G)
and I only had the new hdd plugged in and it was the same.

I mean everything was the same inside the computer like the ram psu cpu etc...
its just that I unplugged my old hdd and tried booting up with the new one (even thou I did not have windows installed on it)

StrangleHold

Staff member
So your saying it booted fine with the new drive and after you partitioned and formated it you moved some files to it, now when you boot the computer it freezes on the bios screen with the new drive attached but boots fine without it.

PC eye

banned
It still sounds like something in the drive mainly the card saw a short to ground with a component failure to pull any system down that much. The first night saw a working drive with files copied and then this? You have ruled out board and supply simply by seeing this happen with only one drive in. Something in the drive itself could be arcing to ground if the platters simply didn't quit.

SAD_DC

yes it boots fine without the new drive connected but when I try to do anything with it connected it doesent move from "AMD" screen.... :(

oh and also what is a platter??

well woudl this mean I would need a new PSU??
because I didnt think I did i mean I dont see any issues with power...

I think what im going to do is ship it back to newegg and see if that helps...

But im worried because the first two files I moved onto the drive were private/work files (I know im stupid)
I dont want anyone at maxtor or newegg going into my life you know?

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
You could try booting with GParted or a floppy with a utility like Active Killdisk to see if you could still wipe the drive? The drive itself is what seems to be the actual problem already having ruled out the supply and board as possible culprits. Like I menrioned earlier you still saw problems with that drive by itself so no larger draw on the supply would explain the problems still seen. Your supply is ok unless you upgrade things later.

One thought of the spindle motor binding up still seeing a draw comes to mind. With the side cover off and a simple touch of the drive when you have the system on for only a few minutes briefly will tell if the drive is getting hot. If you feel it get hot that means the motor is heating up like a bound drive explaining the pull on power and no failure to detect disk message appearing due to no OS installed on it.

A live for cd Linux distro may be able to access the partition long enough to delete the files. But I think you are stuck sending the drive back the way it is for replacement. Now you know not to rush placing anything personal on a new drive until you know that it's a good strong drive. However the best storage is seen with removable for any private info rather then leaving stuff vulnerable to something like this or spywares, keyloggers, etc..

SAD_DC

ok I will try to d.l active killdisk and run that
do I just burn it onto a cd and bootup my computer with the new drive connected?
or do I need my old drive connected aswell???

I mean I doubt It will work seeing as how My computer wont even start with the new drive but hell its worth a try...

Thanks..

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Yah if your computer doesn't get past the BIOS any OS/livecd/whatever isn't going to work.

You could try swapping the control boards and see if that fixes it but that will defiently void the warranty and isn't guranteed to work. Your best bet is to just return it, if the drive works they should delete the partition before sending it back for resale.

PC eye

banned
Once a drive is refurbished they have to see it totally made fresh with nothing on it. The system stalling may be just before Windows loads while far enough through the post tests to see a live cd boot. There's no guaranty on that but worth a try to clean your stuff off if you can.

When you get the replacement make sure that one is good next time before copying anything important/personal onto it. When going to return it you may want to also consider going for a WD or Seagate model to sub for the Maxtor. I've heard quite a few complaints on that brand over the years. The vendor may have received a bad batch?