gp2x

B-MAN

That open source linux based gaming handheld. I've been drooling over it as a real nerd but i'm not sure if i should ever buy one.

It's not as expensive as a PSP but still not very cheap either (about 190 euro). Pro is that when you have it you rarely have more costs. Maybe an SD card or 2. But 90% of the software will be free and open source. It even comes with the SDK so you can make your own games.

Does anyone have any experience with it? I wonder if it's just going to die some day out of lack of community support/interest.

Damn i can already see myself playing doom, duke3d, hexen and supertux and all those games. Watching series and listening to mp'3 on it. Even runs on batteries so you can easily switch them.

Looks so cool but it may be something that never had a chance.

Motoxrdude

B-MAN said:
That open source linux based gaming handheld. I've been drooling over it as a real nerd but i'm not sure if i should ever buy one.

It's not as expensive as a PSP but still not very cheap either (about 190 euro). Pro is that when you have it you rarely have more costs. Maybe an SD card or 2. But 90% of the software will be free and open source. It even comes with the SDK so you can make your own games.

Does anyone have any experience with it? I wonder if it's just going to die some day out of lack of community support/interest.

Damn i can already see myself playing doom, duke3d, hexen and supertux and all those games. Watching series and listening to mp'3 on it. Even runs on batteries so you can easily switch them.

Looks so cool but it may be something that never had a chance.
Yea, i heard about those, they are pretty awesome. They arent advertised well, so almost 90% of the public has never even heard of them.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
As with any new console electronics, I would wait at least 6 months, preferably a year for multiple reasons:
1. Price goes down to a reasonable level.
2. You actually see if it will survive (see Dreamcast ;))
3. More games to play, therefore better investment in games.

Although #3 doesn't apply in this case, I'd still wait just based on #1 and #2... :)