GPU Bottlenecking?

wungoodshu

EDIT: Problem fixed. It was actually the driver. Thanks all for the help.

Recently, my friend's computer's slow pace had begun to annoy him enough to splurge on new parts. However, after getting new parts, he actually had to drop video settings on basically every game he has cause his framerate took a massive hit. I've never heard of a framerate change due to anything other than the graphic's card changing. Any thoughts?

His computers specs are as follows:
Core i7 860 (2.80 Ghz)
Asus P7P55D EVO
Dual Channel DDR3-1660 (4GB)
EVGA GeForce 9800 GT (Either 512 or 1GB, I'm not sure and he's not answering his phone, but if it matters, I can update it later.)

EDIT: He previously had an older Asus mobo, a Core 2 duo that I don't believe was any higher than 3.0 ghz and 4 gb of ddr2-800.

Last edited:

mx344

Wow that is suprising, he should be getting quite an increase in fps, becuase the i7 is ALOT more powerful than any c2d, maybe somethings is wrong with his gfx card.

What kind of frames is he getting? what games?

linkin

VIP Member
if any of those games support multicore rendering then turn the option off. what o/s is he running?

wungoodshu

I know he's running Vista, either Ultimate or Home Premium. Not sure if it's 32 or 64 bit. The only game I can recall is WoW (not a very demanding game) but he used to run max settings at a constant 50 or so, and now it's like an average of 30 with the occasional dip to like 3 fps for about 10 seconds at a time.

linkin

VIP Member
sounds like shoddy drivers or a failing GPU. Update to the latest drivers and if possible test the GPU in another computer.