GPU fan

gbud

I've been fixing up an old gaming desktop of mine and it is insanely noisy. Unfortunately I think I have pinpointed most of the fan noise coming from the graphics card.
I've tried blowing the dust out as best as I can (on all the fans), still noisy. I'm hesitant to try pulling it apart to get more access to the fan (not even sure if you can take off the housing of a GPU) because I can't really afford a new one in case I bust something.
It's a GTX 560 from something like 2011? Its probably time for an upgrade anyway.
Any magical suggestions or should I just start saving up for a new card?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Depends what is wrong with it. Sometimes the fan is spinning off centre, but usually for something that old, the sleeve is dry. I have read of people removing the fan and adding some oil to quiet them but for something that old, you might be better off just getting a new card.

Gossinater

Yeah a GPU isn't built to tear down and modify. Maybe break it down and deep clean it then if it breaks oh well buy a newer one. I tend to mess everything up so I'd try to fix it then when I failed just buy a newer one.

gbud

Well I guess it's about time. I was playing PoE the other day and the card overheated and shut off.
I can't see any compatibility problems with my EVGA x58 mobo and a new GTX 1050 GPU. Can anyone confirm?
EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 GAMING, 2GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC)
Do you think $187 usd is a decent price in this age of crypto stuff?

Computerage

$185 for a 1050 is pretty expensive. Now is not a good time to buy a new GPU to be honest. You'll probably find much better prices with slightly older, lightly used GPUs. Check out eBay.

gbud

This is sad... Even 780-Ti used on ebay are going for around $200. Guess I'll be trolling ebay for a while. Or quit playing PC games. Stupid crypto-mining...
Thanks for everyone's input!