GPU issue in Fallout 4

The VCR King

This has been happening for a few days now. I'll be playing Fallout 4,and after about 10 minutes the fan on my graphics card will get louder and faster (to the point that I have to turn up my gaming headset it's so loud, sounds like a jet engine) until it hits 100% and it won't calm down until I exit the game. However my temps look fine. I am running the game at it's lowest quality setting and it used to always work fine... until recently. Do I need to shovel out the cash for a 390 now? Is my 6950 dying? Guess I'll have to mow more lawns to get money toward a 390 :rolleyes:

Edit: Could I try locking my fan speed to around 50% in TriXX and see if that keeps it from taking off or could that risk issues if I actually have some sort of heat problem?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go into catalyst or vision settings and turn auto fan off and set fan speed manually and see what happens, keep an eye on temps.

Darren

Staff member
Set a fan curve in Afterburner and be done with it. Keep an eye on your temps though. Capping it at 50% is just asking for trouble, particularly if it idles at 40%.

The 6950 isn't renowned for being a quite card either and Fallout 4 likes to suck everything it can out of your GPU while still presenting you with muddy textures and crap performance.

Disable any overclocks if you're doing that.

The VCR King

You just don't get it. Don't even bother with AM3+ at this stage. You can try for the new AMD platform or the latest Intel when you are ready.
Ok I'll wait. That's just one of my ideas. I have other builds I'm thinking of as well.

Darren

Staff member
Ok I'll wait. That's just one of my ideas. I have other builds I'm thinking of as well.

Save some money then we'll talk.

Do you have any source of somewhat consistent income? Like... at all?

At this point I am just going to save up and build a new rig instead of throwing money into this stupid money pit. I've had enough with this machine.

I plan to save up for this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/CrazyCalvinWilliams/saved/#view=yZVMnQ

Also. Lol. 2 way crossfire with 390's, on presumably on the same power supply you have since you didn't list another? That won't explode or anything. Even my single 390 is bottlenecked by 8320 at times. 8350, psh, who needs core efficiency. Oh yeah, let's put that in a 35 dollar case that likely wouldn't even fit the 390! 32GB of RAM? Why not! DDR3 2400MHz RAM? Yeah the 8350 totally will benefit from that extra RAM speed! Such great RAM speed surely won't be bottlenecked by that crappy core performance.

Seriously though, that build is deeply flawed in almost every way. You need money before you should even look at parts lists.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Hey on another topic I also noticed today that my GPU is sagging and is bent down a bit

That's why bigger/newer GPU's have a backplate, like my 390.

Sapphire-Radeon-R9-390-4-GB-Nitro-Boost_4.jpg

The VCR King

OK the fan ramped up to 100% again in game today but the performace wasn't affected at all. Is there a way to log my GPU temp up to these events?

Darren

Staff member
OK the fan ramped up to 100% again in game today but the performace wasn't affected at all. Is there a way to log my GPU temp up to these events?

Open up Radeon Settings and under global settings and global overdrive, press reset. What driver version are you on (and don't say latest, give me a number).