GPU OC help!

BangMash

Hey all!

Fairly new to the more technical side of computers, so im at the stage at looking to get into overclocking.

Im gradually just going into it, but my query is this. Im looking to OC my GPU (not by much to start!!) using the software 'Asus smart doctor' (or similar software if recommended), so is there a set procedure in increasing voltage, engine and memory? Eg if i raise the engine and memory will voltage need to be increased as well? And by how much roughly?

Card is a GTX470 @ 607mhz engine, 3348mhz memory and 1.012v.

I just need a starting point to give me an idea at what i need to look for so any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!!

CardboardSword

Basically you need to slowly increase one by say 5mhz each time. Start on the core we'll say. Increase it and every time you do run a quick benchmark test, if the test yields an improvement over the last, then its a good overclock, if it's lower, then the GDDR5 has clocked itself back to prevent crashes and instability. Once you've found the cut-off point, you can increase voltages a little bit and start the whole process over. Its a very time consuming process.

BangMash

Basically you need to slowly increase one by say 5mhz each time. Start on the core we'll say. Increase it and every time you do run a quick benchmark test, if the test yields an improvement over the last, then its a good overclock, if it's lower, then the GDDR5 has clocked itself back to prevent crashes and instability. Once you've found the cut-off point, you can increase voltages a little bit and start the whole process over. Its a very time consuming process.

Ok thanks for the help, really appreciate it! I figured the GPU might be a good starting point to learn OC, looks like I need a whole night to play around with it haha

mrjack

VIP Member
FurMark is a good tool to check how stable the overclock is. It'll stress the GPU more than games will (at least that has been my experience), so if there are no artifacts when running FurMark then the overclock should be stable.

Last edited:

CardboardSword

I'd also recommend ATiTool. Its older, but seems to have a pretty thorough artifact scanner. It gave me the warning signs that my old PSU wasn't up to snuff when no other stability test did (At least as quickly or reliably).

BangMash

FurMark is a good tool to check how stable the overclock is. It'll stress the GPU more than games will (at least that has been my experience), so if there are no artifacts when running FurMark then the overclock should be stable.

I'd also recommend ATiTool. Its older, but seems to have a pretty thorough artifact scanner. It gave me the warning signs that my old PSU wasn't up to snuff when no other stability test did (At least as quickly or reliably).

Ok thanks guys Ill download both and give them a try :)

So if im increasing GPU processor speed and then voltage when needed, when do I increase memory? Is it possible to OC the processor while leaving the memory at default setting and treat the GPU memory as a seperate OC operation? Or do I OC GPU processor and memory at the same time?

CardboardSword

Well the processor and the GPU are two seperate entities. The CPU and RAM clocks are tied to an extent by the front side bus. If you are using a CPU with an unlocked multiplier, you can overclock the processor without affecting RAM clocks.

On the GPU side, the best way to do it from what I can tell is to overclock your core as high as it'll go, then once that's stable, do the memory. Increase voltage and repeat if desired. The memory on the GPU and the memory for your system are two very different things.

BangMash

Well the processor and the GPU are two seperate entities. The CPU and RAM clocks are tied to an extent by the front side bus. If you are using a CPU with an unlocked multiplier, you can overclock the processor without affecting RAM clocks.

On the GPU side, the best way to do it from what I can tell is to overclock your core as high as it'll go, then once that's stable, do the memory. Increase voltage and repeat if desired. The memory on the GPU and the memory for your system are two very different things.

Ah yes of course! Sounds simple enough, got the programs and the info so im ready to try it now! And yea I realize they are seperate i was talking about the graphics card components all along, im still getting used to the lingo involved haha

Alright thanks again dude!

BangMash

Will do for sure! Wont be anything spectacular as Ill need to upgrade my cooling before taking it to its extreme but Id like to OC enough so I see a difference. Those GTX 470's are hot enough as it is haha!