GPU temps

john452

I have two identical computers, one is used by me and one is used by my brother. they're in the exact same condition and everything works identically except from the gpu. my gpu runs at ~20 degrees higher than my brothers when under load, why is this? they're don't have dust on them and i even recently put new thermal paste on mine to see if that would reduce the temps, but it hasn't. i've monitored the fans too and they seem to be working fine. what could be the problem?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Same exact power supply? Very possible that the video card in your computer just runs hotter. What video card is it and what is the highest temp it runs at? Do both of you run the same game? What about game settings?

john452

Same exact power supply? Very possible that the video card in your computer just runs hotter. What video card is it and what is the highest temp it runs at? Do both of you run the same game? What about game settings?
same exact power supply, yes. they are also the exact same video cards, i don't know if u misunderstood. same programs/games, using the same settings but mines seems to run 20 hotter, i don't understand.

they're 280x's i forgot to mention

john452

and also if i run any game, it's running at 81-85, is that not high? i usually only run fortnite or league but even if i ran something like minecraft, which you wouldn't think was too demanding, its running at 75>

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
85 is max temp for that card. I would say the card is bad. You could try switching cards to verify it's that and not something specific to your pc.

Darren

Staff member
Yeah easiest test is swap cards and see what happens.

280X was a 7970 rebadge. Had 2 different ones of those myself. Great cards that aged amazingly but they were somewhat known for dying after a few years of usage. Both mine did, got free RMA's twice though.

beers

Staff member
Which specific cards are they and which specific BIOS versions do you have on them? What specific cases do you have? What's your fan placement look like? What do your fan controls look like in BIOS? What do your GPU controls look like in the driver suite or utility like afterburner? Where is your computer in your room? Something stuffed in one of those premade desk holes or under a bunch of crap will be naturally hotter.

Entirely too many variables to simply say something is exactly the same.
it's running at 81-85, is that not high?
That's not an unreasonable temperature for Tahiti/Hawaii Radeons
I would say the card is bad.
Just because something is perceived to be hot, yet is operating within designed parameters, it's bad?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just because something is perceived to be hot, yet is operating within designed parameters, it's bad?
Because he said when he runs any game even not very graphic intense the temp is at 85 degrees. Doesnt that sound bad to you?