GPU trouble

technoob

I've been out of the loop with newer technology for about five years due to financial issues and recently purchased a custom built computer. Basically I ask for it and they added it to my package well what I forgot to ask about is the cooling system the only fans I have in my computer are the heatsink and the power fan. My CPU seems to be just peachy though. Its my GPU that has all the trouble. Its a Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT, its a massive unit that has zero opportunity for air flow in the current case I have which is just a standard black box because I didn't want to spend more on it.

It locks up a lot and I'm terrified that my 200 dollar optical drive is going to melt. At the moment I have my case cracked open and a box fan on it to keep it a little cool. Am I going to have to replace my case or does any one think simply getting a few new fans is going to help it out? Can anyone recommend some reading material so I know what I'm doing if I do have to replace the case?

technoob

Sorry I don't have any thing to take a picture with and this case doesn't even have a brand name or logo on it to identify it. Its a straight up and down classic tower with two vents, one high on the back and another high on the side. Both vents are about 3-5 inches above my GPU, and considering how large my GPU is I don't think there is going to be any air flow at all on one side of it.