graphic card for not gaming ??????

piazza2

Member
is it worth to install a graphic card if I don't play games at all? I really want to learn video editing ,,( pinnacle PRO AND MAGIX PRO ),I have bought a graphic card (ati radeon pci ddr 256mb gpu s9250 sb edition ) to install on my old dell dimension b110 with 2 gigs RAM
 
I say about 90% no, 10% yes :P Previously, all the video editing and such was handled by the CPU. The video card really has little to nothing to do with the video rendering while editing. However, I do know many GPUs now have hardware acceleration for various formats (though probably unused for editing) and some software utilized OpenGL.

However... Even with these in mind, the 9250 is a very old card. Even if you were to use software with OpenGL acceleration, I doubt the supported OpenGL version would be new enough to utilize anything. In the end you'd probably be just as well off, if not better to use onboard video.
 
^^Agreed^^

I have a Dell that I use for my HTPC and I put in a Nvidia 8400gs for fun and it doesnt even come off idle temps unless I am using atitools stress test. I can honestly say there is no diff. between my onboard and this card except for higher res in CS 1.6 (yes I still play it).

I am severly bottlenecked by my CPU (celeron) long before the GPU even realizes I want it to do something. Good luck.

Side note, I wont lie about it being really really fun to OC the card though.
 
Back
Top