Graphics Card and Mobo Video?

Casey

So I have one DVI cable hooked up to my graphics card (HD 6870) through a VGA to DVI cable and I don't have another port thingy for another VGA cable I want to hook up so I wanted to know if there was anyways to hook it up through the VGA port on my motherboard and not my graphics card. Any advice? I can't seem to get it to work :p.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Not a lot of machines let you use a video card & onboard graphics at the same time.

Casey

The onboard is also ATI, it's a 4200. And it won't work will it? Like would that one monitor if it worked be using the on board?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Wont work with the way your wanting it to. Best thing to do is buy another DVI to VGA adaptor. Hook both up to the video card. Do both of your monitors just have VGA ports?

Last edited:

Casey

Yes they both only have VGA ports, well my dell has a dmi and vga. And then my other HD has an HDMI and VGA. And I wanted to use a VGA because I have no more VGA to DVI connectors.

StrangleHold

Staff member
If you have any local small computer shops, they would probably have one for a few bucks. Not for sure but Office depot might have them.

Casey

Well I can't go anywhere for the next couple of days so damn, oh well. I'll figure something out. Thanks Strangle :p.