Graphics card compatibility

0bAm3

I have a good pc and its able to destroy most games but my borther is stuck with intel HD and i want to recommend him a good and cheap card. He dosent play high resolution fps games so a cheap but good card is fine.
He has a compact Dell Optiplex 980

Ive been looking into the nvidia GT 710

amazon listing: https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeF...F8&qid=1523925103&sr=1-3&keywords=gt+710&th=1

I need to know if this low profile card will work with the dell optiplex 980

i also want to know that if i do install it, do i need to plug in extra power from the PSU or is it fine from the slot

Mutch appreciated :D

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It includes a couple low profile brackets but you'll have make sure he isn't using VGA cable as using low profile will remove that. He'll only have dvi or hdmi.

0bAm3

for some reason his monitor only has VGA. I have a spare HDMI to VGA adapter that i bought a while ago but it seems like it makes the monitor resolution less. Is there any low profile VGA brackets that will work? or should i use HDMI to VGA adapter. Or as i see it the VGA part is attached with a tapeish looking wire and i can attach vga to that wire and make the vga cord come through an opening in the case.

0bAm3

he cant run most games at all such as gta 5 witch i heard gt 710 can at least run it at an ok framerate.

Shlouski

VIP Member
Dell OptiPlex 980 - SFF - Core i5 650 3.2 GHz - 4 GB - 320 GB

Looking at AnandTech benchmarks I see that the Pentium G4620 seems to be at the point the cpu's start to struggle with GTA V and it is significantly faster than the i5 650, so I worry that upgrading your GPU may not be enough to make games as playable as you might want.