WIndows 10 Graphics Card Died... then Windows Failed?

Vernoss

Hello!

New to the forum. Made an account to post about this issue, but seeing as I'm getting more into rig building, I'll hopefully stick around a bit too!

Anyway, 2 days ago, my GTX 1070 in my ASUS ROG G20CB seemed to die. Right before it happened, I installed the Java SE Environment, and loaded some textures and a shader into Minecraft. About 10 minutes later, my screen went black without warning.

The computer was still on, but nothing was on the display. So I turned the computer off with the button, and attempted to restart it, hoping it would fix itself. No dice. So I switched to the HDMI out of the integrated graphics, and lo and behold, I had a display again.

But I wasn't sure what caused my display to go out in the first place. It was either graphics card, PCI slot, or power supply. So I took the video card to a local computer shop to see if he could test it on one of his rigs. He plugs it in and it immediately started smoking (this was new - didn't smoke before), so we determined the card was done for.

Begrudgingly, I ordered a new graphics card, and went home, resorting to integrated graphics and Youtubing until the new card came in (this was last night).

This morning I got up, powered my computer on, and surprisingly came to the blue screen of death, with the note: Critical Process Died. I spent 14 hours trying to troubleshoot. Between failed system repairs, failed command prompts, failed system restore, I got fed up with it and decided to just format the card (this is my M.2 960 EVO boot drive), and reinstall Windows. Unfortunately, in my frustration, I forgot to back up the contents of my desktop using my other boot drive (some screen shots and random things), because I knew most of my important stuff was on my other drives.

So I did the Windows installation, and all seems to be working well now. But I was never able to determine what could have caused this to happen. Is it possible that a failed graphics card would somehow corrupt the system/boot? And if so, why did it not happen until the next day? Also, why would my graphics card have failed in the first place? I have good ventilation, but I did see that there was a lot of dust in it when I took it out. Guess I should air it out more than once a year. But again, it didn't smoke originally, so it's hard to say what actually happened. The card was at least 3 years old, but I figured it'd go at least a couple more. Drivers and everything were all up to date. I know I'm probably not giving enough information. I don't expect exact answers or solutions, just ideas as to what could have possibly happened.

Thoughts/opinions?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Hardware can go out at any time, there is no set time limit. If there was lots of dust in the fans then most likely card was overheating and it finally did damage to it.

Okedokey

I don't think anything died. I think you simply destroyed your Windows install which caused BSOD when trying to load drivers for GPU.

Id boot in safe mode and see if you cannot use a system restore to undo your work. Failing that, Id reinstall Windows from USB. I bet you'll find it works fine.