graphics card failing :(

vzfox

My graphics card is failing and shutting my monitor down. If I play an online game (which I have been playing for a couple years now), after 5 mins of game play my monitor will go black. If I stay on computer without playing any kind of game that requires graphics, it works just fine. I have unistalled and reinstalled the drivers and software for my graphics card as well and it didnt do anything to help the issue. Virus scan and malware scan both report no infections or problems.

Please help again

ATI Radeon X1650 512 mb DDR2

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe your card is overheating,Have you cleaned its Fan and Heatsink?....Is the fan still working?

What does catalyst control centre report your cards temps as?

vzfox

The X1650 doesnt have a fan and yes I try to keep it cleaned with canned air at least once a month. It uses ATI Catalyst Control Center version 2010.0210.2339.42455

It may be overheating, cant say it isnt but recently my computer had some malware infections that was causing my pc to shut down just 1 minute after it started. I ran Malwarebytes free edition and it fixed the shut down issue, but now the graphics card is messin up. Just seems to un random that it happens to fail now ya know.

vzfox

The X1650 doesnt have a fan and yes I try to keep it cleaned with canned air at least once a month. It uses ATI Catalyst Control Center version 2010.0210.2339.42455

It may be overheating, cant say it isnt but recently my computer had some malware infections that was causing my pc to shut down just 1 minute after it started. I ran Malwarebytes free edition and it fixed the shut down issue, but now the graphics card is messin up. Just seems to un random that it happens to fail now ya know.

ok...sorry but i was wrong. The X1650 does have a fan and it wasnt turning :( i took the graphics card out and it was hotter than chit. I am now running the on board graphics which is NVIDIA GEForce 6150 LE. I will purchase me another video card but in the meantime this is what i have :( again, im sorry for being an idiot lol and thank u for your assist.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your not an idiot!...this is a computer forum for people to ask questions!!! no need to apologize ;)

Well the cards fan can easily be replaced if you wanted too,But the X1650 Is old school and and id recommend upgrading anyway to something nicer :p

Just make sure that whatever new card you get,That your current power supply can handle it. :) :good:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some graphics cards require additional power from the Power supply,On your power supply there should a 4 pin + 6 pin Pci-e power cables....If there isnt you can always buy a to molex to pci-e adapter.

They will only be needed though if your new card actually requires these...What new card was you looking at buying?

vzfox

Your not an idiot!...this is a computer forum for people to ask questions!!! no need to apologize ;)

Well the cards fan can easily be replaced if you wanted too

Its really a money issue with me right now, i did take the fan off the card. All i need to know now is where to get another fan. Any ideas? ATI Radeon X1650 512 mb DDR2 pci-e 16x

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well any of these this will fit according to its details.

ZALMAN VF900 – CU 2 Ball VGA Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118001
Its $31.90

Or

ARCTIC COOLING Accelero S1 Rev.2 VGA Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186016

$26.99
Although i dont think this one comes with the clip on fans,

Id go for the Zalman because it comes with the fan,And its Copper!

Theres probably cheaper alternatives out there,just take a look around for VGA coolers on your budget and check their compatibility range :)

Last edited: