Graphics card upgrade for Dell Inspiron 545

Tim H

I want to know what graphics card I should buy so that I can play world of warcraft on my computer. I opened up the case and looked inside. I think I just have regular pci slots. What graphics card will fit and work with my current power supply of 300W?

Calin

You don't need a beefy GPU for it, a 950 should to the trick. Might be a bit bottlenecked by the Core 2 Quad though.
And I highly recommend a new power supply.

beers

Staff member
I found out that it has a AGP slot in it. Any AGP recommendations?
New computer time really.

IIRC the highest end card released for AGP was the 4670 but probably either hard to find or inflated in price at this point.

Tim H

The PCI slot didn't say x16 on it. Maybe I need the motherboard plans to know what is what. I'll post a picture

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The 2 whites are pci. The smaller brown one is a pci express x 1 while the longer brown one is a pci express x 16. So you would need a pci express video card.

Tim H

I've never installed a graphics card. It seems simple. Put it in the slot and make sure it comes out the other side of the case?

beers

Staff member
I've never installed a graphics card. It seems simple. Put it in the slot and make sure it comes out the other side of the case?
Basically. Not really different from any other expansion card other than usually being a bit larger.

Watch out for the lock tab if you ever try to remove it.

Tim H

Okay. Once I install it, am i able to just start up the computer and it should run no problem or is this a BIOS settings change or how does this work?

StrangleHold

Staff member
You might have to change for it to boot to the card in the bios, not sure some do it auto. I would down load and save the driver before I changed it out.

mistersprinkles

It goes without saying that once you install a card, you want to hook your monitor(s) to that card. Some people don't get this...

I suggest a GTX 1050 for $100. Good enough for WOW. Cheap. Doesn't require a new power supply or cables from the power supply.