Graphics Card Upgrades, Please Help!!

luke774

Hello everyone, i have finally come to the conclusion that i can't play any new computer games due to my low grade computer. I have a gateway model 31GM. Supposedly it has "onboard graphics" and I'm not sure if thats upgradeable. The slot inside the computer is called PCI express x16 and the "graphics card" (<--haha) is called "Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset. I would love to know if this can be upgraded, and if it can i would love to know a good, relatively cheap graphics card to get for it. Thanks everyone!

Geoff

VIP Member
First theres no need to create 3 threads.

If your motherboard has a PCI-E x16 slot, then you can upgrade to pretty much any PCI-E x16 video card. The major problem is that your stock power supply won't be able to handle the high end cards.

luke774

don't triple post. and i know you did it on purpose because one of the titles is different.

Sorry man, completely honest when i say i did not mean to post so many. As you can see i have like 4 posts on this website. When i tryed to submit the first time it never relocated me to the front page so i clicked refresh. Then it made a blank thread again so i had the assumption that it just deleted. So i wrote another post and tried to click "submit" but even then it didn't relocate me. Didn't notice i had actually posted until a popup came saying "you must wait 30 seconds...". I knew i would get crap from someone though haha.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
The websites been having problems lately, don't worry about it man.

The PCI-e 16x expansion bus is the current standard. First we'd need to know the computer specs, including wattage of your power supply, and the amount of amperes running through it's +12v line. I googled Gateway 31GM but came up dry. You can ascertain the specifications for your PC by right clicking My Computer -> Properties; or Start -> Run -> "Dxdiag". The power supply specification can be acquired by checking out the sticker on the side of the Power supply itself. Include current OS as well.

Geoff

VIP Member
Sorry man, completely honest when i say i did not mean to post so many. As you can see i have like 4 posts on this website. When i tryed to submit the first time it never relocated me to the front page so i clicked refresh. Then it made a blank thread again so i had the assumption that it just deleted. So i wrote another post and tried to click "submit" but even then it didn't relocate me. Didn't notice i had actually posted until a popup came saying "you must wait 30 seconds...". I knew i would get crap from someone though haha.
No problem, we just get some users who post the same question several times, but wording them slightly different.

Motoxrdude

heh its ok. forum gets a bit laggy sometimes :p

luke774

Ok, i know you are going to laugh at my computer details but oh well :). I'll try to add as many things as i can about the computer.

Processor - intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2CPUs) 64bit
RAM - 502mb
Rating - (i don't know if you need) 100-127/200-240V, 60/50Hz, 6.0/3.0A
OS -Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-831gm-media-center/4507-3118_7-31477174.html

The website above tells all about it. Thanks so much everyone for helping out :)

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Bottlenecks unsparing. :p The RAM, CPU (which is single-core, by the way), It'll make choosing a decent card very difficult.. The PSU specs you listed aren't the specific ones needed, if you check the sticker on the side of the unit, it will list a +12v spec, right beneath this in a box will be the listed amperage, I.E XXa.

Hmm, if the PSU is sufficient, The most I'd recommend is a 7600gt. Like I said above, your current components will severely bottleneck this GPU.. but not much we can do about this unless your willing to build a new PC. Try to get an extra gig of Pc3200 at the very least, that'll help alot..

Kornowski

VIP Member
"extra gig of Pc3200 at the very least" sorry, do not know what this is =/

He's talking about getting some RAM into your PC. Having more RAM will allow you to do things faster as you don't have to keep refering to the hard drive as much...

At the moment, you have 502MB of RAM apparently, if you got a 1GB stick of PC 3200 RAM, you'd then have 1,502MB of RAM or 1.5GB, as 1,000MB = 1GB :)

Assuming your from the US, this is some RAM that you could look at;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N=2010170147+1052407862&name=DDR+400+(PC+3200)

It all really depands on how much you're willing to spend :)

Hope this helps, any more questions, just ask!