Graphics cards and big screens

mitsman23

i have a question about using a big screen too. I have a Gigabyte 5830 HD grafics crad with 1GB of DDR5 running at 128 bt/s works perfectly for everything but games...... the screen just goes black. But I want to try to play games on a 50" Panasonic Plasma TV so my question is. I have everything hooked up and I'm using it now.... can't play games. Is there a way to get it to work? I was thinking maybe the output signal was not strong enough to support the graphics of my games and maybe I need a higher performance card or a second in addition hooked up in crossfire any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

ultipig

i have a question about using a big screen too. I have a Gigabyte 5830 HD grafics crad with 1GB of DDR5 running at 128 bt/s works perfectly for everything but games...... the screen just goes black. But I want to try to play games on a 50" Panasonic Plasma TV so my question is. I have everything hooked up and I'm using it now.... can't play games. Is there a way to get it to work? I was thinking maybe the output signal was not strong enough to support the graphics of my games and maybe I need a higher performance card or a second in addition hooked up in crossfire any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Well, no matter how large a 1080p tv is, the resolution is always 1920 by 1080. It's just a matter of how large the individual pixels are.

The 5830 has plenty enough muscle to play games at 1920 by 1080. You don't need to upgrade.

I have a couple of questions:
1. What interface are you using to connect to your HDTV? HDMI perhaps?
2. Your 5830 cannot play any games, correct? Because the screen just goes black?

Answer those and I think we can come to a solution.

mitsman23

i tried Prototype, and Bioshock they wouldn't load but then i decided to try Batman Arkham Asylum and Metro 2033 and those two worked Batman ran off of the disc, and metro you don't need the disc to play and they worked. With Prototype and Bioshock I have No CD exe's so I'll try to see if it's a no exe loader issue i didn't have any problem with those two untill i hooked up this monitor. I have the original exe's backed up so I'll put them back in the Prog. folders and post whether that worked. Thanks for all your advise :)

Last edited:

mitsman23

since the first post i posted i have made some changes to my pc I now have two gigabyte 5870 ATI cards hooked up in crossfire and I exchanged the 50" plasma for a Sumsung 40" LCD first off i would like to recommend going with LCD rather than Plasma for a PC because of image retention on plasmas your desktop image will get burned into the screen. In crossfire and all my games work and no black bars on the top or bottom of screen when using the VGA input. With HDMI I do but i think I like the way it looks better with VGA anyways (small images actually seam grainy with HDMI) My main question here is does anybody hae any problems with the screen flickerring? Mine is hooked up to two monitors a 21" Acer and the 40" Samsung. The screen only flickers on my 40" screen the 21" screen does not flicker at all. Does anybody have any solutions?

linkin

VIP Member
What do you mean does not flicker? Try changing the refresh rate on the TV to 60hz, or 50hz if possible and see if it works.