Graphics Cards SLI - Geforce GTX 460

Dropkickmurphys

Hey all,

Long time since I have posted on here!

I'm currently running a GTX460 in my box and I'm thinking about upgrading/changing my setup.

Would it be worth me spending the money on a second GTX460 or would I be better off waiting a bit longer and buying a single better card?

Also, I currently have an old 8600GT, what would be the best way I could utilise this card with my GTX460 in the meantime?

thanks!

spirit

Staff member
You can't run an 8600 GT and a 460 in SLI together. A second 460 would be a good idea if you don't want to spend too much and your motherboard and power supply support SLI. I'd say though that buying a single big card such as the 660 when it comes out or 670 now would give better performance than two 460s though.

It all really depends on your budget, how much extra performance you want, and how long you are prepared to wait.

jevery

In most cases I'd advise you to SLI two 460's - I've run a pair for a few years now and couldn't be happier with the performance, but I don't think your MB supports SLI or a second GPU.

Dropkickmurphys

The specs in my sig are out-of-date... I haven't been on here for a long time and I have upgraded since.

I'm now running an i7 2600k, and a gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P, so I know I can definitely SLI.

I have been looking for a GTX460, but they're still around the ~£100 mark and I'm wondering whether I'm just better off spending around ~£200 and get a single better card?

*EDIT* Updated my sig so it is now accurate.

Last edited:

claptonman

I'd say better card. You could sell your 460 for 100$ and get the 200 quid card. Either way, you'd be spending 100 so I'd opt for the newer technology and not have to worry about heat/driver issues.

jevery

Pound/Performance ratio can't be beat since you've already got the 1 GB 460 and the PSU and MB to support a second, but, as you know, no upgrade path for the future. Still, it'll be a good while before anything is too demanding for good playable frame rates with 460 SLI.

spirit

Staff member
I have been looking for a GTX460, but they're still around the ~£100 mark and I'm wondering whether I'm just better off spending around ~£200 and get a single better card?
May as well just sell your current GTX 460 for say £50-80 and then buy something like a 560 Ti 448 for around £180. That would be a good upgrade path.

spirit

Staff member
A 560 Ti 448 is faster than a 6950 and it's usually cheaper than the 6950 here in Britain too. :D The 6950 is a great card though. :)

jevery

With a 560Ti or 6950 update though you'll be in the same dilemma a year from now, and look at the benches compared to 460's, (GTX 560Ti/488, 6950). You'd need a pair at ~£360-£400, (or a single card probably > ~£300), to significantly outperform the 460's. Whereas with another 460, you'll have about the performance of a 580 for ~£100.

That said, It's been a good while since I've researched GPUs. There may be better choices that I'm not aware of, (better price/performance ratio) I mean.

Dropkickmurphys

With a 560Ti or 6950 update though you'll be in the same dilemma a year from now, and look at the benches compared to 460's, (GTX 560Ti/488, 6950). You'd need a pair at ~£360-£400, (or a single card probably > ~£300), to significantly outperform the 460's. Whereas with another 460, you'll have about the performance of a 580 for ~£100.

That said, It's been a good while since I've researched GPUs. There may be better choices that I'm not aware of, (better price/performance ratio) I mean.

That is exactly the dilemma I am in. I realised that I bought my card 1.5 years ago and I need to upgrade it lol...

Probably doesn't help my finances that I went and spent £88 on a SSD today =/ lol...

If I can get a cheap GTX460 (<£100) then I'll go that route, but considering the card is fairly old and a bit outdated, it is still quite expensive on most sites!

spirit

Staff member
I'd just upgrade to something like a 560 Ti 448 or perhaps a 570. I'd then sell your 460. Yes, they are still pretty pricey. :/