Graphics help

zeroo

Hi, all. Long story short, I built an sli gaming pc a couple of years ago, it ran world of Warcraft very smooth. I put in 8 gig ddr2 ram a phantom quad processer and two nvidia 275 gtx sli grfx cards. Wow had a big up date a year and a half ago, after which my pc didn't run it so well. So I went off playing. I seem to have been drawn back to the game but my pc still runs it jurkey. My cards can't be updated with direct x 11 as they will only take dx 9. Would a new cad help/ fix the problem. Ati or nvidia, I only want to buy one card this time and move away from sli.
Thanks for any help you may give.

claptonman

What exact CPU do you mean? I'm guessing its a phenom. Right click my computer, properties, and it should tell you the exact name.

zeroo

What exact CPU do you mean? I'm guessing its a phenom. Right click my computer, properties, and it should tell you the exact name.
hello, it's an AMD Phenom 2 x4 940 3 ghz
thanks for picking up on my mistake : )

Last edited:

FuryRosewood

a gtx 660Ti would probably do well, that game does rely on the cpu though quite a bit... just changing to a intel chip seemed to steady my framerate out with my gtx460.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
a gtx 660Ti would probably do well, that game does rely on the cpu though quite a bit... just changing to a intel chip seemed to steady my framerate out with my gtx460.

the gtx is expensive for now, you don't need to spend that much money to play WoW.
Maybe he has to go with an hd7850 or hd6950?

spirit

Staff member
If you are willing to spend all £200, then this 7870 is the very best card you can get in your budget http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...aphicscards/amdhd7870series/fx-787a-cnfc.html

Otherwise the prices of the 7850s are falling and can be had for like £160-180 now and that offer Jonny found on Overclockers is a steal. The 7850 is a better card than a 560 Ti. I would recommend a 660 Ti but they are still a bit too expensive, usually about £200-£260, so over your budget.

Novatech is a good store by the way, that's where all my stuff comes from.