Graphics performance deterioration

godber69

Hi there,

Noticed my graphics have suddenly seemed to have gotten slower. Noted especially when playing Settlers 7 which ran superbly just the other day but now seems slow (still playable though).

I can't think what might have caused this other than it is quite hot here at the moment. But surely this would not be the cause.

Any suggestions on how graphics perfomance can be monitored or improved in this situation would be welcomed!! :eek:

Godber69

Aastii

VIP Member
well the heat would, in theory, help performance, but not the lifetime of the chip.

Did you have any other programs open when you were playing, because it may have been either too much CPU time was being used, or too much memory was being used, not necessarily the graphics playing up

godber69

well the heat would, in theory, help performance, but not the lifetime of the chip.

Did you have any other programs open when you were playing, because it may have been either too much CPU time was being used, or too much memory was being used, not necessarily the graphics playing up

Nope nothing else running in the background. Just seems strange that it worked great one day then not the next.

I looked at what I had installed during that time which was only Quicktime and the latest directx drivers. Uninstalled quicktime but no difference :(

godber69

Have you checked any recent virus scans? It's always a possibility.

Yeah, thanks for the suggestions.

No sign of any recent viruses and the only thing I can think I have changed is the power mode from balanced to high performance.

But then again like I say it worked fine before so stumped! Oh and I ran defrag but the drive is practically empty!

Glliw

The difference from balanced to high performance in power settings would do it then. I know on my laptop if I open a game in a power saving mode, I'll get terrible performance, but if in HI-PO mode I'll get playable rates.