Graphics problem....mayb? or somthing else?

unbentmammal

Hi, i am a gamer and have spent a bit on my pc doing it up, and i feel it doesnt work to its full capability. When i run new games on high graphics with everything turned on full, the game stutters/slows down. Eg Half life 2 @ 1280x1024 on high slows down were there is fire and need for speed underground 2 slows down when i go fast or in brightly lit area.

I have a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe, Ati Radeon 9800 pro, 512mb of kingston 400mhz pc3200, windows xp prof, 40gb 7200rpm HD.

Another thing i cant set the AGP speed on graphics card to 8X because when pc restarts to set this up when i change it in catalyst control thing it goes back to "off" setting.

I would be very greatful if you could help me set pc up properly or tell me what my problem is.

Regards Adam

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Another thing I cant set the AGP speed on graphics card to 8X because when pc restarts to set this up when I change it in catalyst control thing it goes back to "off" setting.
Set that in BIOS, not via drivers.

More ram wouldn't hurt.
True but it shouldnt mean slowdowns like hes experiencing with 512MB ... ok maybe for HL2 but not for NFSU2

unbentmammal
What settings are you playing the games at? What driver version do you have? What are your Driver-DirectX settings?

unbentmammal

In HL2 the settings are on medium with no anti-aliasing and anistrophic filtering and that works fine, but when on high with anti-aliasing on 16x and anistrophic filtering on 16x it slows down. I have updated the drivers from ATI webpage to the most recent one. DirectX is 9.0c.

I forgot to say my CPU is AMD 3200+ @2.2ghz

Thanks for your help.
Regards Adam

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt a max OCd x800XTPE Super Ultra Extreme* could run HL2 with full detail, full AA and full AF. turn them down to more reasonable levels like 4xAA/8xAF

*card doesn't actually exist :p

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
In HL2 the settings are on medium with no anti-aliasing and anistrophic filtering and that works fine, but when on high with anti-aliasing on 16x and anistrophic filtering on 16x it slows down. I have updated the drivers from ATI webpage to the most recent one. DirectX is 9.0c.
There's no way in hell you're gonna run that game at max settings (with appreciable fps) with the hardware you're on now. Period. (and neither should you [have] expect[ed] to). :)

unbentmammal

Ur spec cant run far cry on full... :confused: u prob hav top spec pc i have seen!

ok anyway wat i mean is res @ 1280x1024 with texture quality on high and water on very high (which is only 1 tht can go on very high which is odd aswell...anyway) erm particle count, special effects quality, enviro quality, shadow, and lighting. It all works fine.