Graphics Problem

mcottier

Hey. I had a graphics problem I was hoping someone could help me with. I have a 1.95ghz proccessor, 1.25gb RAM, and an ATI radeon 9250 series 256MB video card. My problem is, that whenever I am watching a movie or playing a video game, it always freezes for a second, then resumes. It does this like every minute. (its like lag) When this happens to movies, the movie freezes for a second, but the audio keeps going. Then when it resumes, it catches up real quick with the audio. Why does it do this? I think this happens because my hard drive cannot read data quick enough for my computer. Is that known to happen? And if that is the case, I should get a hard drive with a higher RPM, right? Thanks.

Sincerely,
Michael Cottier

mcottier

Nothing to do with cd rom, because all movies are on my computers hard drive, (I edit videos for my website). And my games I install to the computers hard drive to. My hard drive is a Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6E040L0. here are the specs:

Capacity: 40GB
Average Seek Time: 10 ms
Buffer: 2MB
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA133
Features: Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) Motors
Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year
Packaging: OEM Drive only

Thanks.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
After you've got it sorted out check this site out http://www.tweakhardware.com/guide/maxtor-noice/

Maxtor lowers the seek speeds of some of the drives to lower noise. Using a little utility you can speed it up a bit but I'd recommend fixing whatever it wrong first :)..

I've ran the utility with my drive and it worked like a charm but wether it works with your particuler hd remains to be seen :)..

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Start / Settings / Control panel / System / Hardware / Device manager / IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers / Primary IDE channel
Right click on it, then Properties and go to Advanced settings tab.

mcottier

i think it is enabled. it says:
transfer mode: DMA if available
current transfer mode: ultra dma mode 6

does that mean it is enabled already?