Great spec or overkill?

Zephyr102

I'm thinking of buying a new laptop (preferably under or around $2,000) and I'm having trouble figuring out whether some of the new tech out there is high performance or just overkill.

My goals with the computer include video editing, music programming and gaming (high end CPU usage game i.e. World of Warcraft).

For example, is 8Gb's of RAM really worth it? Or will 4Gb accomplish what I need to do and be fine for the next few years. Is 700Mhz overkill in speed?

Is a 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GT video card too much?
What kind of CPU should I be looking at?
Any help with other components would be great.

I'm just trying to find the line between useful and overkill + overpriced.

I know I'm kind of a nub at all this but any help would be great!

Geoff

VIP Member
I don't know of a laptop that supports 8GB of RAM, usually 4GB of DDR3 is the most that the current mobile chipset can handle, but I may be wrong.

But to answer your question, I'd say that 8GB of RAM in a laptop is overkill, but it depends what you are doing. The 512MB 9800M GT is a decent gaming card, but no where near overkill. I would also look into the new mobile processors such as the P series from Intel.

spamdos

yeah save on 4gigs of ram and put that towards your cpu. gpu is pretty good and you should have no trouble with games. you would be surprised how far away you are from overkill :)

PabloTeK

You can get laptops with 8GB of memory (Rock Direct's SL8 for example) but it's pointless and rather expensive. As these two said, save and get 4GB's or put it to somewhere else.

if your getting this for wow, then yes overkill, you do not need these specs unless you wana go for 600 framrates, my computer has 256mb to graphics i still get 87 frames, you will be fine with a system much cheeper if your getting it for world of warcraft