"GRLDR cannot be found" in bootup

jimtr6

okay, it said "scanning all disks for Windows installations, then said scan was successful, then it gave me this...

[1]: C:\ WINDOWS
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All):

what do I hit, a "1" a"Y" a"N"
my first try I hit a "Y" and the system boots but takes even longer than before and gives me an option of which Windows to start along with the original error "GRLDR" message, so hitting a "Y" seems wrong, anyway I rebooted with the CD and I'm back to the screen above, I'll leave it there till I hear back from you on what I enter next

jimtr6

I got brave and decided to hit a "!", now it wants a load identifier, would that be NTLDR or MBR, or make up my own name??? I'm leaving this where it is till I hear from you, I really appreciate your help! (thanks from a Meriden CT native)

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Prompt to enter the load identifier. This is the name of the operating system for the boot.ini. For example, Microsoft Windows XP Home users would enter Microsoft Windows XP Home edition.

Prompt to Enter OS load options. When this prompt is received type /fastdetect to automatically detect the available options.

So you would enter Microsoft Windows XP Home for the load identifier if you have xp home and then /fast detect when asked for load options.

jimtr6

I did that, I still get the cannot find GRLDR message and now it also asks me what OS I want to load, choice of two, both say Windows XP Professional Edition, on the boot.ini file accessed from Control Panel there are two Entries for Windows XP Home Edition, except there is a "/fastdetect" after one, I guess that's the one I added

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Do this.

7.1. Boot your computer from a Windows XP installation CD and choose R for restore or repair. Then you get a terminal with a menu. Choose the number of the Windows partition, typically 1 for c:\windows , and type the administrator password.

Install NTLoader with the following consecutive commands:
fixboot C:
fixmbr

Done! You should be able to reboot into Windows.

jimtr6

Success!

that did it! scary because it warned me of potential severe problems if i proceed, but I hit Y at the MBR prompt, I still get the multiple choices for which system I want, as you know all three point to the only one there, so I deleted the timeout entry in Control Panel and it now passes it by straight to booting up XP, thanks again for your time!