Gt or Gtx

Pancakes

I need to decide which video card to get for the new alienware computer im ganna get. those are the two different choices.
the geforce 7800 Gt or the Geforce 7800 Gtx

(when i get enough money im going to buy a second one of whichever i get and have dual sli shiz)

Mr.Suave

alienwares are way overpriced. you should think about building one yourself and you'd get more bang for you buck so to speak. and the new XT1900XT's are better than the 7800GTX's.

but if you insist on alienware then get w/e you can afford b/c of course the gtx cost more than the gt. and their both good cards either way.

ckfordy

banned
Bootup05 said:
I think the gtx has 4 more pixel pipelines and higer memory/core speeds ( not sure tho:)

yup your right it has more piplines and a little faster memory/core speeds.

fade2green514

yea... the GTX also has an extra vertex shader along with the 4 pipelines. basically either way you'll play games at extremely high qualities... gtx is mostly for bragging rights if you ask me lol... not worth the money if you have better stuff to spend it on.

TooMuchButtHair

Pancakes said:
Is it possible to run a Gt and a Gtx in sli? or do they have to be the same card?

They have to be the EXACT same card. If you have a 7800GT made by BFG, and you want to run 2 cards in SLI, you MUST get another 7800GT made by BFG - it can't be a 7800GT made be anyone else.

It'd go for the GTX if it were me.

Pancakes

Interesting. So basically what eveyone is saying is that the gt and the gtx are not that different performance wise? the 4 pipelines dont make any difference? take the gt and maybe upgrade from a 3500+ to a 3800+ or 4000+ processor?

Mr.Suave

TooMuchButtHair said:
They have to be the EXACT same card. If you have a 7800GT made by BFG, and you want to run 2 cards in SLI, you MUST get another 7800GT made by BFG - it can't be a 7800GT made be anyone else.

It'd go for the GTX if it were me.
nope thats untrue now. nvidia came out with a new driver that allowed for SLI with different brands a long time ago but they still have to be the same type like 7800gtx 256mb and another 7800gtx 256mb. not 7800gtx 256mb and 7800gtx 512mb.

Interesting. So basically what eveyone is saying is that the gt and the gtx are not that different performance wise? the 4 pipelines dont make any difference? take the gt and maybe upgrade from a 3500+ to a 3800+ or 4000+ processor?
the 4 pipelines do make a difference but you wouldnt notice it depending on what you do. like if you play CSS then you wont tell from 60fps to 100fps. but if its like fear then you might have to set some lower setting that you would w/ the gtx.
i would go with the gt and get a better CPU like the 4000

Last edited:

Rip_Uk

fade2green514 said:
gtx is mostly for bragging rights if you ask me lol... not worth the money if you have better stuff to spend it on.

you wouldnt be saying that if you had one, hehe :p

Marskib

GTX is just a name IMO. Some GT's outperform the GTX and cost much less (EVGA 7800GT 256mb or Gainward 7800GT 512mb) The Gainward in particular is a monster of a card and 2 of these in SLI would be hard to compete with.

Pancakes

If only Alienware offered those cards. Im not sure what brand they are.. I think there just straight from nvidia...
Right now i have a Geforce 7800 gs overclocked by BFG and i really like the performance running battlefied 2 for example (besides my mobo being messed up and causing some crashes here n there)

Will the Gt run just as well and possibly even better than the gs on bf2?
do the 4 pipelines on the gtx make a difference on this game like it does with fear?

Last edited:

TooMuchButtHair

Mr.Suave said:
nope thats untrue now. nvidia came out with a new driver that allowed for SLI with different brands a long time ago but they still have to be the same type like 7800gtx 256mb and another 7800gtx 256mb. not 7800gtx 256mb and 7800gtx 512mb.

I had no idea!!! Thanks for the info. :D

ceewi1

VIP Member
Will the Gt run just as well and possibly even better than the gs on bf2?
Yes, the (PCI-E only) GT is somewhat better than the (AGP only) GS.
do the 4 pipelines on the gtx make a difference on this game like it does with fear?
Yes, there is a difference - whether that difference is worth the money or not is a more contentious question.