GTX 1060 WITH AMD-8320

michael_feechuk

Hello thank you for taking the time to read this my current setup right now is a GIGABYTE GTX 1060 G1 GAMING a AMD fx-8320 overclocked to 4 Ghz, 8GB of ddr3 ram so when im playing grand theft auto 5 with all high-ish setting my frames top out at 62 and they constantly drop down to 45 even down to 28Fps a lot of the time and its really annoying because i put $700 into this thing and its kinda disappointing i can barely run gta v so my question is, is my GTX1060 bottlenecking from my cpu and if so would i see a huge difference if i upgraded to a amd fx-9590 4.7 Ghz 8 core cpu(id overclock to 5Ghz) or would i be better off selling my amd shit and going intel

Darren

Staff member
GTA runs fairly well on an 8320/8350, particularly at higher clocks but you are guaranteed to have instances of pretty several jutter down to 45 FPS. Like I'll be rolling through town and running 60FPS solid with a decent amount going on and then I turn my camera one way and just instantly tank to 45 FPS. It's unavoidable on this platform. I've tried various GPU's, settings, and anything else and it just will flat dip at certain instances. Most of the time, sure no problem running 60 FPS closed to maxed out but there are infrequent instances that will hinder your performance. This is what you're seeing. A new CPU will likely fix it but honestly I wouldn't say it's worth the money just for that. See if you can overclock a tad higher, 4.0 isn't much. My performance got noticeably better when I bumped up to 4.4GHz+ and RAM speed/timings help too. I can usually hold 50+ with my tweaks but still get that drop to 45ish every now and then.

mistersprinkles

I've never had any trouble keeping above 60FPS even with max everything on my 4790K based machine, which is not overclocked. This was the case with my 980 (though some settings were lowered) at 1080P and on my 1080 at 1440P.