GTX 1080 GAMING X 8GB GDDR5X not recognised by computer please help

Dovahkiin

As the tittle says my new gtx 1080 isn't being recognised by my computer ever time i try to update the drivers the fail and i cant use the HDMI on the graphics card its self to get my monitor to work i have tried everything from a different slot on the mother board to resetting the bios. i am building a completely new PC as well im just keeping the hard drive from the old one but i doubt that would affect it. My specs are

6th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 6600K 3.5GHz Socket LGA1151
GIGABYTE GA-Z170XP-SLI Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) ATX Motherboard
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-1700 2133MHz Dual Channel Kit
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X 8GB GDDR5X
EVGA 750 GQ ATX Power Supply

i have installed my old graphics card into the new PC and into the same slot as the gtx and its working perfectly so i doubt its the motherboard my suspicions are that the graphics card is DOA (dead on arrival) i hope you guys can help.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you have connected the pci express power connectors to the video card and it still don't work then you can basically assume its DOA. Do you get any video output from it using dvi?

Dovahkiin

If you have connected the pci express power connectors to the video card and it still don't work then you can basically assume its DOA. Do you get any video output from it using dvi?
i dont have a Dvi cable just hdmi but i assume it would still be the same outcome

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You are better off using a dvi cable until you get the card drivers installed. Try using a dvi cable first and see what happens. What is your original card? It may help to uninstall old drivers while original card is installed and then shut system down, remove old card, insert new card, use dvi cable, start system, install new updated drivers and then see what happens.

Dovahkiin

You are better off using a dvi cable until you get the card drivers installed. Try using a dvi cable first and see what happens. What is your original card? It may help to uninstall old drivers while original card is installed and then shut system down, remove old card, insert new card, use dvi cable, start system, install new updated drivers and then see what happens.
My old card is a radeon 7700 and i did uninstall all drivers but did not do nothing

Dovahkiin

Can you verify that the card doesn't work in another system? If it still don't work then you can verify doa.
Unfortunately i cant very my other pc is a bit out dated and i dont think the graphics card could even fit in the case