GTX 260 Driver Issue

d3adpoetic

My specs are in my sig. Whenever i try to update the driver it installs fine, im able to switch to SLI and the cards overclock fine when i need them to (which doesnt happen a lot). Everything seems ok until i try to play a game (just cause 2, mass effect 2, etc). When i get into the game it lags every few seconds while im moving. The game works fine as far as displaying textures, but it hangs every few seconds while moving just enough to be noticeable and annoying.

My current nvidia driver is 257.21. I cant remember the driver i always have to go back to for games to work again, but i think its 196.21 or 197.62, somewhere in there. Anyway, i want to update my drivers, but none of them work properly. I found a BIOS update for my board today, got that all taken care of but it still does it. Didnt think that would fix it, but it was worth a shot.

It happens whether or not SLI is enabled or disabled, and if i have one or two monitors enabled.

If anyone has any ideas thatd be great. This is getting really annoying that i have to stay behind on the drivers cause new ones wont work.

Thanks.

Twist86

Well ever stop to think that maybe the new drivers just suck? I mean the last batch destroyed graphics cards so id be wary of the new ones. However try this and see if it helps download DriveSweeper http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Download updated drivers and remove your current drivers. Reboot and go to safemode and run DriveSweeper (make sure only to select Nvidia Drivers and not Chipset Drivers)
Then reboot and install the new ones. All problems I have EVER had with drivers was solved by doing this.

d3adpoetic

Well ever stop to think that maybe i didnt know that and i like to think a company such as nvidia knows what theyre doing when it comes to drivers for their own hardware??

I'll give drivesweeper a try though, ill let u know my results.

Thanks.

ScOuT

VIP Member
I have an eVGA GTX 260 and I had an issue for a while...the new drivers have a power save crap on them...they underclock when they think they can save power. I just keep the old drivers and they work just fine and never underclock my card any more.

The old drivers are fine and play everything I can throw at them.

d3adpoetic

Well i did the drive sweeper deal and installed the new drivers, still had the issue. I did drive sweeper again and went back to 196.21, everything works like it should now.

I just dont like knowing that im stuck with old drivers and cant upgrade... oh well, if it works it works.